44637Re: Traditional English Culture

  • jimstuart51
    Jul 4, 2008
      Wil,

      I agree that Descartes challanged and rejected "dogmatic
      presuppositions" assumed by medieval scholastics, but I don't think
      you are correct to say that in all formal philosophy before Descartes
      "dogma was applied as axiomatic".

      I don't think Socrates started from dogmatic presuppositions. Nor
      Plato. Nor even Aristotle.

      Jim

      > No, sorry, but you are historically inaccurate. The actual import of
      > Descartes was a break with scholasticism and its dogmatic
      presuppositions, especially
      > of the religious variety. That why he is often called, in almost all
      primers
      > on the subject, the father of modern philosophy. Critique had
      displaced dogma
      > as the radical beginning of 'first philosophy', as it has become known.
      >
      > Dogma was literally applied as axiomatic in formal philosophy before
      > Descartes, a matter perhaps no longer stressed in history classes.
      >
      > Wil

    • Show all 39 messages in this topic