44630Re: [existlist] non-traditional existentialists

  • Aija Veldre Beldavs
    Jul 3, 2008
      > Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
      > other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in.
      > Mary

      no problem, precedents exist if one is willing to look beyond the usual

      many pre-agricultural & herding peoples related to a great variety of
      animals, not just herd animals, and some societies remembered this even
      after they became domesticated. Bear Woman doesn't get the kind of
      support from her mate as the wolf or the penguin (of the latter some are
      homosexual). Inescapably Nature has variety and she is the first living
      book that people study as to what niches living forms occupy.

      "Kungi raksta graamataa,
      Saule kljava lapinjaa.
      Lords/ masters write in a book,
      Sun, she writes in a maple leaf."
      (recorded in different variants, latv. folk/ daina-song)

      there are archaic societies that recognized order and disorder/ chaos
      beyond duality to be part of the same system. thus, awe and respect,
      rather than vilification, fear, or hatred of the strange going back to a
      cognitive revolution taking place throughout the world as evidenced by
      cave and rock art. DMT (N,N-dimethyltryptamine) spiritual experiences
      going back to those days gives the experience of making the strange
      familiar and the familiar strange, as well as sensing connectedness of
      all within Nature/ the Cosmos.

      until many Great Civilizations (starting with Zoroastrianism) classified
      what was ambiguous as Evil, shamans, wise women/witches, tricksters,
      third sexes, & so on were "our strangers" (all of them deviating from
      the norm by choice or mis/fortune) esp. among such peoples as the
      Uralic. ambiguous (potentially dangerous or helpful according to
      circumstances), rather than Good or Bad natural forces or deities have
      been more characteristic of archaic religions, and this is still the
      case among a number of indigenous peoples who of course have modified
      their traditions to fit current circumstances.

      from the ecological point of view non-dominant alternative world
      insights are worth studying and respecting as part of human experience,
      especially since normative truths of any one society are widely taken to
      be self-evident, including the dominant ones today.

      animals and plants, later considered disgusting and associated with
      witches or the Devil, such as toads, snakes, or mushrooms were in
      earlier times respected as part of Nature. mystical experience, derived
      from entheogenics &/or other means known in shamanism with reasonable
      probability gave an early sense of all things being connected.

      one of the first to suggest the role of entheogenics in the
      break-through to a pre-agricultural human spirituality, Gordon Wasson
      (Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, 1967) observed that Europe seemed
      to be divided into mycophobic and mycophilic regions (as in Uralic
      peoples experience), France and the Mediterranean littoral from Majorca
      and Catalonia to Provence being exceptions to generally western peoples
      mycophobia. check out the more recent & rigorous study done by Johns
      Hopkins University on psilocybin mushrooms for potentially legal medical
      therapeutic use:

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic