44629non-traditional existentialists

  • mary.jo11
    Jul 3, 2008
      Raising children has been the significant experience of my life, and I
      not so humbly consider it a contribution to society.

      I take issue with "solidarity," that existential ax, because of its
      tendency to totalitarian impulses, in both private and public spheres.
      The compromise and cost are usually not fully assessed until after the
      damage is done. Maybe I'm just old and tired. Things just seemed more
      romantic, idealistic, and possible when I was much younger. My hope
      for the future is tempered not rusted.

      This evening there will be fireworks and celebrations. We remember the
      individual privateers, slaves, and free men and women who forged this
      great melting pot into which we all eventually disappear, overly taxed
      and underrepresented, still luckier than many. Nation seems a strange
      and necessary construct.

      Existentialism isn't a static concept or philosophy seeking objective
      truths. Perhaps it's merely a vigilant advocacy for the silent alien
      other who stands at the door but cannot or refuses to come in. It
      recognizes a frustrating, unsolvable paradox. Even the most "normal"
      or "well adjusted" among us might feel that kind of incommunicable
      isolation.

      E pluribus unum now seems a clever marketing scam, no pun intended.

      Mary

      >sorry your experience of connectedness has been negative.
      >mine has been more positive than negative, though i've learned from
      >both, and it has been a means for me to develop as an individual.
      >alienation, connectedness, freedom, and enslavement are universally
      >experienced in different degrees both individually and collectively.

      aija
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic