44610Re: Christian Nationalism and Paul of Tarsus

    Jul 1, 2008
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "jimstuart51" <jjimstuart1@...>
      wrote:

      > Louise,
      >
      > You wrote in your post 44587:
      >
      > "That multi-racial states and empires are the more likely to fail
      > catastrophically than those that are racially homogeneous. …
      Without a
      > strengthening of the Christian faith, or some (slightly
      unimaginable)
      > honourable heathen equivalent to such faith, in the British Isles,
      the
      > idea of promoting realistic racial nationalism through the
      democratic
      > process seems doomed to fail. A policy of repatriation is only
      > feasible if carried out with restraint, discretion, and humanity. A
      > traditional Christianity fairly well established in the general
      > population seems like the only possible background by which such a
      > feat could be achieved without debacle or catastrophe."
      >
      > I find it useful to compare your "Christian" views with those of
      Paul
      > of Tarsus. Paul spent a lot of his time arguing against two separate
      > groups of "Christian Nationalists", the Jewish group and the Greek
      > group. Each group wanted to preserve their own cultural ways as the
      > "essence" of Christianity, whilst wanting to do away with the
      cultural
      > ways of the "foreigners".

      As I hope I made clear, this is my great concern, that treasured and
      unique cultural ways disappear, if we are not vigilant about what
      happens to all of us, regardless of nationality or skin colour. If a
      man or woman were to complain to you that s/he felt belittled on
      grounds of Englishness, for instance, I hope you would be fair-minded
      about that. It seems a lot to ask, sometimes, from those who shelter
      behind the liberal label.

      > How did Paul respond to these two groups of separatists? He wrote:
      >
      > "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free,
      > there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus"
      > (Galatians 3:28)

      He also wrote:
      ~ For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my
      brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh. ~ (Romans 9.3)

      In spite of his considerable learning, Paul was a man of great
      tenderness and compassion, who felt sorrows and temptations very much
      in the flesh, and his natural racial feelings are not a matter of
      shame. Such distinctions are not shameful. In modern times we are
      indoctrinated out of thinking in this manner. As you point out, he
      is without prejudice, and treats questions of divisiveness with
      exemplary clarity.

      > Paul endorsed the multicultural societies of Palestine and Asia
      Minor.
      > He was one of the first human beings to be able to see beyond skin
      > colour and cultural tradition to the real human being, who was
      > essentially the same as all other human beings.

      I would be interested to know more about this. Was the consciousness
      of skin colour a feature of these societies, ancient Palestine and
      Asia Minor?

      For this reason he saw
      > no problem with multicultural societies or multicultural churches
      > where individuals of different races and different social statuses
      > worshipped together and shared and supported each other.
      >
      > Paul's enlightened views on multiculturalism and equality are his
      > greatest contribution to civilisation in my view.
      >
      > By the way, all the evidence suggests that Jesus was a Jew. Paul was
      > also a Jew.

      It doesn't surprise me, that the evidence should point to Jesus being
      a Jew. He is recorded as saying "I am not sent but unto the lost
      sheep of the house of Israel". As for Paul, he is quite
      unequivocal, "a Pharisee the son of a Pharisee" (Acts 23.6), a zealot
      for the Law, his conversion proverbial to this day. Louise

      > Yours,
      >
      > Jim

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic