44309Re: Fate Versus Determinism

  • jimstuart51
    May 1, 2008
      Hb3g,

      Yes, it all depends what one takes `care free' to mean.

      I also think it matters how one interprets `being indifferent'. I
      think there is one sense in which Nietzsche was not indifferent to
      existence, and another sense in which he was indifferent to existence.

      Like you say, he was not indifferent to existence in the sense that
      he passionately said `yes' to existence, rejoicing in the fact that
      he was alive and the world was the way it was.

      However, in another sense, I would say that he was indifferent to
      existence in that he had no desire to change things. (He also had no
      desire to try to stop other people trying to change things.) He did
      not wrestle with his own fate, he was happy with the way things were.

      So, in sum, Nietzsche was not indifferent to existence as a whole -
      as you say he positively affirmed existence with a great passion. He
      was, however, indifferent to the details of existence – he was not a
      person to go out of his way to bring about change. He seemed
      remarkably indifferent to the lives of other people.

      One other point: You write "Nietzsche was imprisoned within his own
      solitude, and his sickness." I think this is misleading. Nietzsche
      did not choose to suffer from ill health, but he certainly did choose
      to live his middle years (up until his breakdown) in solitude. So
      perhaps at times, Nietzsche was imprisoned by his ill health, but I
      do not think his solitude constituted a prison in any sense.

      But these are fairly minor points. I think that in the main we agree
      in our interpretations of Nietzsche.

      Jim
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic