44159Re: Autistic Minds

    Apr 12, 2008
      <existlist1@...> wrote:

      > On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
      > > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
      > > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.
      >

      > First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
      > diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
      > country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term:
      it
      > might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every
      region
      > seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic"
      personality.

      > As for science...
      >
      > Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test
      and
      > retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
      > scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton
      and
      > Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.
      >
      > It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are
      based
      > on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't
      mind
      > being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another,
      better
      > theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
      > certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with
      each
      > little piece of data.
      > CSW, Yhank you for the clarification , the stronger numbers seemed
      very high as one in three males would be catastrophic. I now
      understsnd why you cannot reliably give a number of cases per
      hundred. What a half assed malady such that we cant even get it
      named. Most of the writers on this list show some signs or simptoms
      of autism, but I find it interesting to chase down the rabbit hole.
      Are existentialists genetically prone to autism? That is unanswerable
      but not unthinkable. It may even still be legal to think such things
      and so I do it. Bill