44157Re: [existlist] Re: Autistic Minds

  • Exist List Moderator
    Apr 12, 2008
      On Apr 04, 2008, at 9:26, bhvwd wrote:
      > Before we start that grueling process we need know much more adout
      > all of this and such science runs its slow , particular course.

      First, as Susan correctly clarified, I meant that for every female
      diagnosed, three to seven males are, depending on the state or
      country. Part of the problem is that autism is a descriptive term: it
      might be describing any of several underlying conditions. Every region
      seems to have its own definition of what is an "autistic" personality.

      As for science...

      Indeed, science is slow and makes mistakes along the way. We test and
      retest theories. Even once established as the accepted theory,
      scientific "knowledge" can be challenged. Witness how well Newton and
      Einstein held up, but there are "flaws" in even their great works.

      It is hard to explain science to people. No few disciplines are based
      on the notion of being wrong over time. A good scientist doesn't mind
      being proved wrong, assuming he or she can develop yet another, better
      theory. This is what people don't get about science: nothing is
      certain, we just assume we are slightly closer to the truth with each
      little piece of data.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.