43127RE: [existlist] Re: Moral Code

  • eduard at home
    Jan 8, 2008
      eduard:
      > The role of the brain is to seek after answers. Why is
      > there thunder?? Ancient peoples came to the conclusion that it is
      > some god hammering on an anvil.

      aija ---
      guess when the hammer and anvil part was thought up? metal smithing and
      with it the metal ages and for that matter warrior societies start up,
      when? - isn't it as early as 6000 B.C. like in the highlands of ancient
      Iran and spreading throughout the Middle East, Egypt, the Caucasus etc.
      smithing gods, as far as i know - all male, become powerful as well.:)

      smithing adds another model of creation via technology, this time
      exclusively male. in the earlier technologies of clay pottery and
      weaving the earliest creators often seem to be female. in the Baltic in
      one of the numerous alternative traditions a smith-god hammers out a
      gold sun. it is known along with the dominant creation models, which
      seem to be parthenogenetic/ from the mother, most obviously with the
      water bird hatching the cosmic egg, but the weaving goddesses are also
      creators.

      enjoy pic of Norwegian smith: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_(metalwork)

      but not all smithing gods throughout the world are also thunder gods,
      though there are thunder gods all over the world making noise in
      different ways. there are native American thunder-birds and even some
      thunder goddesses (Yoruba). the Baltic Thunder god's daughters seem to
      deal with rain not thunder while sons are thunderers).

      in any case, at some point, within these traditions some people
      recognized myths to be more art and poetry than science.:) science
      paradigms tends to get replaced and it is updated continuously more than
      art, which tends to recycle or reinvent itself.

      eduard ---
      My point was simply to show that the brain strives for an answer.
      And if it cannot find an immediate answer, it will invent one. Which I
      believe is the origin of religion.

      Yes, not all noises are attributed to gods, but some gods are
      invented to give explanation for noise. Just as gods are invented to
      explain how that big fiery ball manages to get across the sky during the
      day.

      It is often said that gods are supernatural. I would suggest that
      none of them are supernatural. They are all inventions based upon very
      natural experience. God himself is in large part a reflection of ourselves
      and of our fathers. Well ... perhaps I should revise that to say ... within
      the Semitic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. In the Indian
      Gita the point is made that Krishna cannot be described or even seen.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 31 messages in this topic