42301Re: BUBER, SARTRE, CAMUS, HEIDEGGER

  • jimstuart46
    Oct 6, 2007
      Wil: The tragedy of people is that they couldn't care less about other
      people.

      Jim: I've been thinking about this for a day or so, and I think you
      are exactly right. This is the tragedy of human existence.

      I see philosophy as the discipline or method for individuals to follow
      in order to transform themselves into individuals who do care about
      other people.

      Many of the ancient Greeks and Romans viewed philosophical texts
      as "spiritual exercises" to repeat and focus on in an attempt to
      transform themselves into human beings with a better, more
      appropriate, attitude to existence.

      Pierre Hadot's book "Philosophy as a Way of Life" draws out this
      aspect of ancient philosophy. I thoroughly recommend Hadot's book.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic