42257Re: Just not enough war

  • Herman B. Triplegood
    Oct 2, 2007
      I watched a segement on the History channel last night that talked
      about the Manhattan project. One of the scientists they were
      interviewing said that since the dropping of the bomb in 1945 the
      number of people who died from the effects of war every year went
      down drastically. The point he was making was that the destructive
      power of this new weapon was a wake up call. States can no longer
      wage unlimited war because the threat of total annihilation acts as a
      deterrent.

      Hb3g

      > I think we may be losing our penchant for combat, for legitimised
      > murder. The major existentialists seem little involved with what
      has
      > been considered a moral issue. I find it more like a genetic
      issue.
      > We now compete in non violent areanas. Of course someone has found
      > out how to stack the deck. State Dept people are protected by
      > Blackwater, so much for the real mission of the negotiators.
      > Putin is annoiting himself emperior and flying around our
      borders,
      > it is threat but not violence. Bush wasnts in the worse way to maul
      > Iran thus fulfilling his keepers demands to keep those gas prices
      > up. All this is just not as fierce as the last century. None of
      these
      > bellicose players today have the residual power to start up a big
      > war. It seems the intellectual feedback mechanism has begun to
      > activate a peace gene. I understand that cannot as yet be proven
      > but dead people do not pass on their genetics. Warriors may have
      > gotten to adept at craft to stay abouve survival numbers. The
      > volunteer military compresses and inbreeds its numbers. I wonder
      if
      > they are not fighting and breeding themselves into extinction. Is a
      > life of war becomming a lousey survival tactic? In the old days the
      > winners came home and bred like satyrs. I just dont see that
      > happening with the survivors of todays nonsymetrical conflicts. How
      > could these old soldiers manage to put multiple children through
      > college. How about a service academy. And then the graduates can
      go
      > to war and get killed. We are moving toward a less numerous, less
      > violent species and I really dont mind the idea. We can read
      about
      > Achilles and have bad dreams about what he did to Hector. I have
      > nightmares about how to defend against returning Blackwater.
      Before
      > there was always Africa for merk war. Now the rock millionaries and
      > movie stars are pacifying that barbarity. I don`t think people are
      > very happy but life expectancy numbers keep increasing. Somebody
      must
      > like this pussey world. Bill

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic