41760Re: [existlist] My views Re: politics

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Jul 3, 2007
      CS,

      I think you confuse social discourse with a philosophical position. The
      latter, if one can manage it, is unable to concede to a position that it considers
      anathema to truth (or the Good, etc.) assuming such a conclusion has already
      been made and that that position culminates in something like what Kant called
      a "maxim". As I am on the left, there are some positions that have achieved
      such an axiomatic status and cannot be 'mediated' by anything, especially by
      some nebulous middle. We have already danced that tango, so I will leave it at
      that.

      The former, social discourse, is a space wherein a debate can take place, but
      if I am consigned a role in such, I do not see why I should celebrate any
      middle. The middle course in an 'evolution/creation' debate would be what? What
      is the middle course on 'Iraq is an illegal invasion', or 'torture is a crime
      against humanity', or 'the vice president is part of the executive'?

      And as a side in a debate, I have no regard for watering an ethical position
      down to that same middle, radical or not. Philosophy is, for me, a sublated
      manifestation of war. I am not of the mind to allow the right-wing, which has
      all but ruined this country and continues to do so still, to imagine that it has
      anything to say about god and country any longer.

      Finally, we are well aware of your libertarian position, as well as other
      specific positions. I haven't seen any change of mind since I have been at this
      group. You seem as certain, at times, as anyone else here, and on matters that
      I have an almost opposite position. What middle course there?

      'Debate' (what passes for debate in the US is a scandal) presumes a
      compromise between parties, but in many instances this is a mirage. Debates are usually
      held for the sake of affecting listeners, not for achieving a middle path.

      Wil