41744Re: First with the most

  • jimstuart46
    Jul 1, 2007

      Your philosophy is: The world is a violent place, so I must be
      tougher, more violent, than the next guy, otherwise I'll go under.

      My philosophy is: The cycle of violence can be broken by courageous
      non-violent people standing firm in the face of intimidation and

      Remember the Chinese guy who stood in front of the tanks in
      Tiananmen Square? Remember the Czech guy who set himself on fire as
      a protest to the Soviet invasion in 1968? You don't win hearts and
      minds with a fist in the face, you win hearts and minds by
      courageously facing up to reality in a non-violent way. We need to
      win the hearts and minds of our Muslim friends, not nuke them out of

      On the best method to combat terrorism, listen to Trinidad:

      "As far as footbaths: I absolutely argue for separation of church
      and state. They can wash their feet at home or the Mosque. The law
      is more important and must continue to pursue its separation from
      religion or lose its grip on civilization altogether. This is the
      line we really must hold in the face of terrorism. We need stronger
      self-defense laws in this country. A child being beaten by any adult
      is already against the law. On the other side of this coin the law
      must be continually vigilant toward constitutional issues. We fail
      if we allow terrorism to convert us to a police state. Our legal
      system and our constitution are the most elegant proposition to
      appear of any civilization in history; to respect that completely we
      cannot compromise it to a goal of converting the world to our
      thinking while violating our own cachet. We can only move the world
      toward our democracy by being what we are, and being willing to
      defend that without question and without compromising what it is. No
      one said it would be easy, except of course for the neo-cons."

      The neo-cons will be cheering your every post at present, Bill. They
      agree with you that "might is right". They love your blind approval
      of every aspect of America's foreign policy.

      Your introduction of the US war with Japan in the 1940's is a useful
      example. In that war the Americans were the good guys – they helped
      Britain, France and Russia defeat Nazi German, and they defeated
      fascist Japan after they were attacked first.

      The current situation where America is at war with the Arabs is
      entirely different. Here America are the bad guys – they don't want
      justice and democracy in the Middle East, they want oil.

      I guess you think the oil should go to the country with the biggest
      guns. A nice variety of nihilism.

      I see why you want to place me with Jesus brigade. But I think you
      are closer to the Evangelical Right. Your "us and them" mentality is
      very theistic.

      Jim … spinning more magical thoughts.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic