    Dec 9, 2006
      Yes, sorry, the wording of my first sentence in particular is rather
      unclear. I shall try to expand and explain. From my experience,
      mainly in the 'eighties, of reading some academic and literary
      journals, I gained the impression that many of those who lecture in
      philosophy for a living, some of whom would be original authors
      themselves in their subject, rather than publishing only critiques
      or biographies of established authors of the canon, might be
      expected to take a pragmatic, not an existentialist, approach. That
      is, anyone actually intending to base the conduct of his day-to-day
      life, in all the complexity of its moral detail, on philosophically
      rigorous thinking, as outlined in a lecture course, would be liable
      to being considered mad, or dangerous, or both. The treatment
      accorded to both Kierkegaard and Nietzsche by their contemporaries,
      or, even now, to their reputations, also confirms me in this
      impression. That is only a beginning, lacking in specifics, but if
      you or others are interested, I could attempt to add more detail,
      perhaps tomorrow.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Herman B. Triplegood" <hb3g@...>

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic