39236Re: [existlist] Re: Cabin Death

  • Nick Widger
    Jul 30, 2006
      Yes, good old Nietzsche, I know all his works quite well. I also know another man with a hammer: Heidegger, who wrote:

      Being and Time: The Being of Beings Encountered in the Surrounding World

      "Association geared to useful things which show themselves genuinely only in this assosiation, that is, hammering with the hammer, neither graps, these beings thematically as occuring things nor does it even know of using or the structure of useful things as such. Hammering does not just have a knowledge of the useful character of the hammer; rather, it has appropriated this useful thing in the most adequate way possible. When we take care of things, we are subordinate to the in-order-to constitutive for the actual useful thing in our association with it. The less we just stare at a thing called a hammer, the more actively we use it, the more original our relation to it becomes and the more undisguisedly it is encountered as what it is, as a useful thing."

      He later explains the difference between "present-at-hand" and "ready-at-hand." Descartes sees items, such as his candle, as being "present-at-hand," meaning "things of contemplation." Heidegger sees items, as tools, for use, hence "ready-at-hand." But I'm sure you knew that. The irony of the hammer as use item, a tool, is that it can be used as a weapon to bash out some persons brains. Bashing out some persons brains with a hammer is unethical; yet, war holds the weapon as a device for promoting ethics (seems ironic to me). Killing shortens our already temporary life--hence, the next line of my writing--and it leads to unclear choices, such as: Do I truly want to support blatantly foolish idealogies? Is there a better solution to the problem? Can I find a more beneficial way to use these tools? And, if I had a way to end our problems, would anyone support and act on that solution---hence, "Why give tools to those who won't use them"--because, sometimes a tool is a hammer
      and sometimes a tool is a plan or idea. But since very few people listen,or support, authentic ideas or plans, they end up following blindly the words of men clueless of their own truth--hence, "Blindly follow the blind."

      If it didn't make sense to you that's because it wasn't meant for you. These lines are pointers, meant for me, on the state of affairs (from my perspective). "I've got your hammer," for instance, pointed to your post "CROSS," and what I thought of your post. My initial system came from your post, "cross." I won't explain the other lines, but they follow the same pattern, a philosophical passage and a corresponding post on existlist. Okay?

      Umm...louise, you seem to be closely attached to certain passages from different existential authors. Are there any thoughts of your own you would like to express? Just wondering. I've been through enough classes where I had to memorize and explain and debate the passages of philosophers. Anything knew feels like a godsend. If not, it's okay. I've seen a pattern of people being attached to quotes from certain philosophers, which is also okay.

      louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
      hmm, dont think i recognise your tool.

      'How to Philosophise with a Hammer', sub-title to "Twilight of the
      Idols", written by Friedrich Nietzsche between June and September
      1888, the clear explication supplied within the author's
      foreword: 'to *sound out idols*'.

      this my own attempt also, even when providing quotation without
      comment.

      in spite of Bill's distrust, still plenty to learn from the Dane,
      for whom irony stands in relation to aesthetics, humour to ethics.
      contemplation and action are of different nature, the pains and
      pleasures proper to each sphere distinct, attracting each its mode
      of communication. irony repels, humour reconciles. if there be
      responsibility, thought is oriented, uttered, in relation to love.
      where is failure or misunderstanding, instead of irony and humour we
      are yielded sarcasm and mockery.

      subjectivity the greatest gift, potential for affirmation. time,
      however, resolves all contradiction. are you willing to wait?? we
      are human, witnesses to suffering. too much for the mind.
      stuttering, silence, these trail into the nothing, where are no
      questions. it is Sunday. worship takes many forms. i shudder.
      blinded, yes, we all fall into the ditch.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Widger" <nawidger@...>