      From: William Harris [mailto:bhvwd@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 12:18 PM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Existentialism as Industrial Tao

      Ryan, Occams razor is a tool of logic that postulates: In a situation
      where no
      definite causality is apparent, the most likely of agents is the best
      choice.
      Divine intervention always takes a leap of faith and since no natural
      laws are
      broken there must be a more proximate solution. Where did this concept of
      serendipidy come from? I have seen a movie with John Cusac that deals
      with it.
      It seems to hold the attention of the under thirty crowd. Your view of it
      Ryan
      seems very normal but others take it as some manifestation of metaphysical
      presence. The steel gerder in the shape of a cross seems to be garnishing
      serendipidous following. I always preferred a Oujie board so I could rub
      knees
      with some cute coed. That was serendipidy, Bill

      Ryan Dewald wrote:

      > Heya Bill,
      >
      > What's Occam's razor?
      >
      > Serendipity is one of my guilty pleasures. There is enough randomness,
      in
      > my opinion to account for the occasional unlikely encounter, like say,
      > running into a high school fling on a remote beach in Thailand. Despite
      > believing that it is nothing but chance, I still file a little piece of
      the
      > event under "magic" just because it makes me smile.
      >
      > There is a really good reason, I believe, to NOT consider serendipity a
      > divine event. If you leave it to the Higher Powers, you're not going to
      > help along those occurances. But if you consider the events leading up
      to a
      > serrendipitous encounter, you're likely to come up with at least a few
      > important principles that form a pattern of serendipity.
      >
      > For example, smiling at strangers, looking around rooms, helping out
      people
      > liberally all contribute to an extended network of people you know.
      These
      > actions also inspire others to do the same making it more likely in the
      > future that someone who happens to have jumpercables will stop and help
      you
      > in the middle of Death Valley at 2 in the morning.
      >
      > As for religion: I have a 2-bit definition for that too. I'm a big fan
      of
      > 2-bit definitions. Mind you it doesn't define a cause of religion, just
      what
      > all religions do.
      >
      > Religion: A story, real or otherwise, that explains from whence we
      came,
      > how ought we live our lives and what happens to us when we die.
      >
      > I wouldn't care what people believed in religion-wise if it didn't have
      > direct impacts on me and my life. Bill, the difference between
      recreation
      > and religion is that when I go biking, I don't tell other people how
      they
      > have to live their lives. When I practice religion, I often do (where
      this
      > is not true, I have no problem with religion).
      >
      > Even when religion doesn't impact other people, its benefits to the
      > practicing individual must be debited against the disadvantage of
      holding an
      > incorrect world-view. I'm not calling any one religion wrong, but they
      > can't all be right, which means some people have deluded views of the
      world
      > (not a real news flash there hey?). They are less able to respond to
      > stimulus around them in the most long-term healthy way becuase they have
      > incorrect information. blah blah... science blah blah... evolution.
      have a
      > great friday everyone!

      It
      > > is a matter of letting go. Letting go of the things that we consider
      > be
      > > of importance, yet really do not make much of a difference in the end.
      > >
      > > I like the definition of religion which is, "A cause, principle, or
      > activity
      > > pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion".
      > >
      > > The thing that we are seeking is a singularity upon which to focus our
      > > minds. The problem that we face is that we have too many
      alternatives,
      > > especially in the Western World. The existentialist concept is
      laudable,
      > > but it still leaves the question of making "what" choice. The
      religious
      > > fundamentalist has a much better time of it. His/her path is defined
      in
      > the
      > > most narrow sense. It is easier to fly an airplane into the World
      Trade
      > > Centre than it is to find a way to balance one's bank accounts or
      deciding
      > > whether to go out to a restaurant or to order in a pizza.
      > >
      > > Going into the woods is an attempt to cut down on the choices. With
      the
      > > thought that with less choice the greater the chance of choosing the
      right
      > > one. But as you imply, such expedition, does not really solve much.
      What
      > > is desired is to find the woods in our urban lifestyle. And any tool
      > which
      > > facilitates this end [be it existentialism, religion or metaphysics]
      is of
      > > worth the candle.
      > >
      > > eduard

      The