3750RE: [existlist] Re: one, two, three, 7000

  • Eduard Alf
    Oct 3, 2001
      The price of a human life is variable in more ways than just the amount of
      money that one might contribute. It may also depend upon the closeness that
      you have to the victim and your own circumstance. For example, if you lived
      in a down and out part of town, you might be inclined to give a greater
      portion of your personal savings to help others, than say a rich person who
      lives elsewhere and is not aware of the existence of others [perhaps by
      choice]. On the other hand you may have become sufficiently hardened to
      only look after yourself. The holocaust showed that the western world can
      equally see life as cheap. The starvation of millions of Ukrainians in the
      1930s is another example. I do not include the bombing of Japan and Germany
      during world war 2, because this was a war measure for which the life being
      weighed was that of an Allied soldier [whether this is a correct stand has
      been open to significant arguement].

      I do not believe that one can say that a human life in the third world is
      simply that of a 20 dollar bill. It would again depend upon whose life is
      involved. But you may have a point on a general basis.

      A case in point is the 1984 disaster in Bhopal, India where toxic gas
      escaped from a Union Carbide Plant. Some 6000 people died and perhaps
      something like 250,000 injured. Yet, I doubt that anyone lost much sleep
      over that and efforts have been made to have the lawsuit played out in India
      rather than the US, since the compensations packages are generally of less
      value there. So one could well ask if your table really reflects the
      situation or are we saying that the millions of dollars per life is really
      that specific to Americans. The politically correct answer is "no" yet we
      all know the reality.

      my point on the 7000 was only to use this as a prompt for some action. I
      did not anticipate that we would get into a discussion of what this number
      might mean as some sort of transition level. We did not declare a war when
      only a handful of people died in the earlier bombing of the World Trade
      Centre. So perhaps there is a transition level but I would be reluctant to
      try to identify exactly what it might be.

      I am watching a old rerun of Star trek. Captain Kirk is in love with a
      woman who he meets when they time travel to earth in search of McCoy. They
      find out that she will later become a prime advocate for keeping the US out
      of world war two, yet she is also forecasted to die in an accident. If she
      does not die, Germany will have time to develop the atomic bomb. So Spock
      holds Kirk back when he tries to save her from an oncoming truck. This is a
      case of allowing one to die for the benefit of millions. Yet that decision
      was made by Spock who is only half human. Could one say that the Captain is
      in the end less human than Spock in only looking to his own self and his
      personal desires?