3740Re: [existlist] Sept.11 in perspective

  • Roggles457@aol.com
    Oct 2 9:48 PM
      may have gotten past him. He has a point about what he talked about, but the
      real problem with this overreaction comes as the following sorts of
      situations.

      1) Carnivore and Wiretapping: Sure, this is good for anti-terrorism, but
      the bill also would be a nice convenient gateway for the FBI to gain access
      to other areas it has wanted to for awhile, things people don't want
      Carnivore and Wiretapping being used for.
      2) Detainment as "Threats to national security" The phrase National
      Security is the most slippery sloped one I've heard in a long time. The
      government can use that extremely liberally. Ex. THe freedom of information
      act does not reveal any of hte governments embarassing foulups, even those
      widely known unofficially, because embarassment to them is a threat to
      "national security." If they can apply it liberally, how long is it before
      anyone who criticizes the government is branded a threat to national
      security. Those who protest the likely upcoming war could be labeled threats
      to national security. Even long after this incident is over, they have a
      convenient gateway for other areas.
      3) If you think it will end here, you are probably misguided, at least in my
      view. There will likely be more attacks, and as a result, more restrictions
      placed upon our freedom as the attacks increase. What comes next, curfew?
      Universal ban on weapons? Cars being searched? Houses being searched? A
      gestapo-like organization being formed? Censorship? Extreme brutality in
      dealing with Afghanistan? It will not end quickly, I expect.

      Freedom will burn in the fires of hatred.

      Ryan
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic