36647RE: [existlist] Re: "Christian" existentialism

  • Herman B. Triplegood
    Nov 7, 2005
      Trinidad:

      I hope that my use of the term "grass roots" in referencing some modern
      Christians will not be mistaken as a reference to the current fundamentalist
      movement in American Christianity today. Your post is heartfelt and very
      much to the point. I am deeply disturbed by the movement toward radical
      Christian fundamentalism in America today, and I fear that the political
      hegemony that this regressive element in American culture continues to
      achieve can ultimately spell disaster, not only for we Americans, but also,
      most tragically, for those many downtrodden folks in the world who have not
      been blessed with the opportunity to be born into a wealthy nation. The news
      becomes almost excruciating to watch, not only because of the extreme levels
      of violence that we now see playing out upon the world stage, but also
      because of the blithe American sentiment of paranoia and racism that plays
      us right into the hands of a geo-political disaster of our own making.

      We live in a world, now, due to our technological capability, that makes
      policy inspired by paranoia a phenomenon extremely dangerous to the world. I
      hope, I pray, that sanity can, and will, prevail here in America. I am,
      however, not very encouraged by what I see playing out day by day as the
      rhetoric of intolerance and of preemption continues to sharpen. I fear that
      the lessons of history are lost upon an America that is, for the most part,
      completely a-historical in its outlook. How easily, how conveniently, we
      forget that over two centuries of Western colonialism have exacerbated the
      ills of that have struggled to get out from under the jack booted dictators
      that we have propped up with our selfish and short-sighted policies of
      economic exploitation. How easily we avoid any discussion of our genocide of
      the Native American Indian as we point the finger of genocide at others.

      You are right to point out the character of the so-called corporate Western
      Jesus that prevails today in American society. We are so parochial, so like
      the ugly American in the movie. Our pride is our downfall. Nevertheless, I
      am here. I was born into this America, and I do love this land, and many of
      its people, although my feelings for its politicians and social activists is
      dubious, to say the least. I do what I can, in my own small way, to try to
      make a difference, even if it is only a difference that I can make in my own
      small circle of acquaintances, in the arena of a real life that only
      partially intersects these lists. There are still good people here in
      America, but we have lost our voice, and we have become increasingly
      marginalized as the social-political right continues to grip, ever tighter,
      to power, and the social agenda careens out of control.

      America needs to return to, and revitalize, the liberal philosophy upon
      which it was originally founded. We need to live up to our vision of equal
      justice for all, in recognition of the fact that we no longer live in one
      country, isolated from the rest of the world, that are not entitled to some
      gift of manifest destiny with which to bring our social-political agenda to
      other peoples at the end of the barrel of a gun.

      I find it profoundly ironic that we are now engaged in the implementation of
      democracy, by force, elsewhere in the world. I will also find it tragically
      ironic when the point is soon reached where as many of our young soldiers
      have died fighting in Iraq as those innocents who died on that black day in
      September four years ago. I wonder how the Bush White House is going to
      answer to this looming benchmark in the war.

      Since the attacks on September 11th, 2001, the past four years have seemed,
      to me at least, to be a psychotic frenzy of paranoid schizophrenia acted out
      upon the political stage of American life. I had hoped that it would pass
      after a brief knee jerk reaction, but then Iraq happened, and then the
      revelations that the reasons to go to war there were all fabricated to serve
      the political agenda. The real danger here in America isn't what, when, or
      where, the next terrorist attack against us might be. The real danger is how
      America might react to a continuing series of such attacks as the level of
      paranoia continues to escalate.

      The America that I now live in is unrecognizable to me. It is not the
      America that I was born into forty seven years ago. It is not even the
      America that I knew only four or five short years ago.

      Hb3g

      _____