36410Re: Inchoate amid the stones

    Oct 5 10:00 AM
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "trop_de_simones"
      <trop_de_simones@y...> wrote:
      > Aside from the poor souls who have legitimate reasons for their
      > suffering, why is it that so many of us struggle to be happy?

      Forgiveness has its place in human life. It is the individual who
      knows, who understands, place, in such context. Kierkegaard's
      religious pseudonymous author, Anti-Climacus, in 'Concluding
      Unscientific Postscript', offers clarity for those with the
      requisite intellect and opportunity, regarding the nature of
      judgment, especially critical judgment of one's fellow-man, within
      the domain of a particular philosophical tradition, often
      called 'Western', in which abstract categories are employed. I
      think it would be accurate to credit Aristotle with laying those

      So I refer again to Part Two of the 'Postscript'.
      From Chapter III, for instance,
      'One human being cannot judge another ethically, because he cannot
      understand him except as a possibility.' [p286, OUP 1945 ed.,
      translated D. Swenson, completed W. Lowrie]
      Or this from Chapter II,
      'Socrates was an ethical teacher, but he took cognizance of the non-
      existence of any direct relationship between teacher and pupil,
      because the truth is inwardness, and because this inwardness in each
      is precisely the road which leads them away from one another.'
      [p221, ibid.]

      So this is all intended as [indirect] commentary on Simone's aside.
      For myself, I gasp. To be sure, I would never seek forgiveness,
      even from God Almighty, for being simply laconic.

      "the fish in fine fettle"
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic