36274Using Science / was Re: And She Who Was Second Shall be First

  • Exist List Moderator
    Sep 17, 2005
      On Sep 13, 2005, at 23:16, Robert Keyes wrote:

      > I was reading this and was loving it until I realized I must comment.
      > (you
      > went off course imho)
      > Bob.. Comments Below..

      My "faith" in science runs fairly deep, since much of my research
      relates to how the brain processes words and writing, among other forms
      of composition. We need to understand how the brain functions, which is
      a science, but how we use the information is dependent upon our ethical
      systems.

      In other words: science can help me understand the brain, but what I do
      with that information is not based on pure logic. I make moral choices
      based on the facts. In my case, I wish to learn how to better adapt
      technologies and teaching pedagogy to match variations in learning
      caused by brain "abnormalities" and damage.

      I could just as easily use the information for something "negative"
      such as a deeper understanding of using words to manipulate
      individuals. Such studies are being done at UCLA with fMRI and fCAT
      devices. The goal is to know exactly which words and images appeal to
      potential voters and customers.

      Science cannot provide ethics... but without science we lack valid
      information for those ethical choices. I simply suggest that science is
      not philosophy, but rather a tool that "informs" our decisions in
      philosophy. Further, I think philosophy cannot be scientific, though it
      should aspire to forms of rigid logic.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.