      From: existlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:existlist@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Aija Veldre Beldavs
      Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:22 AM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [existlist] Re: And She Who Was Second Shall be First

      Jeff:

      > In each of these subtypes of lifeworlds--the objective, the social,
      the
      > subjective--what passes for "knowledge" is what experts in
      non-dogmatic,
      > non-coercive discussions ("communicative action" per Habermas) agree
      > upon. Science is no different in this respect. It isn't a better or
      > higher form of knowledge. Science is just easier to agree upon because
      > it limits itself to the objective world.

      > Progress in knowledge is real. Within each lifeworld subtype, more and
      > more information is integrated and agreed upon (paradigm shifts don't
      > always throw out the baby with the bathwater--and the bathwater is
      > better understood with each advance).

      > Philosophy at its best synthesizes (incomplete) knowledge from all
      three
      > subtypes of the lifeworld into an overall understanding of human
      > existence.

      contrary to someone's put-down of "ethnography" and "memetics," at its
      best folk psychology and philosophy (often combined) also use knowledge
      from all three subtypes of the lifeworld. the latvian term for folklore

      and ethnography is "life knowledge" (dziiveszinja). the concept is
      dynamic and ongoing in contrast to how ethnography, folklore, or
      memetics
      is often perceived (usually by outsiders). obviously there is a richer
      folk psychology and philosophy if there is also a full range of social
      diversity with broader educational opportunities.

      aija

      Please support the Existential Primer... dedicated to explaining
      nothing!

      _____

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      * Visit your group "existlist