36215And She Who Was Second Shall be First

  • trop_de_simones
    Sep 8, 2005
      Now biology has become part of popular culture. As a result, it faces
      another problem. For many people, the science of life explains, or so
      it seems, all we need to know about our sexual and even our social
      selves. For them, masculinity is as much coded for by DNA as are
      mustaches. Science, without doubt, is a crude, pragmatic, but
      effective way to understand the world. The physicist Niels Bohr
      likened it to washing up after dinner: dirty crockery, a dirty cloth,
      and dirty water, but--as if by magic--clean dishes emerge
      (philosophy, he said, was the same but without the water).
      Unfortunately, the public has too much faith in what it can do. The
      arts faculty prefers the top-down approach--passion first, facts
      later--but for scientists sex has always worked from the bottom up.
      Biology cannot say much about man's struggle to find himself or
      somebody to share a bed with, and most biologists do not bother to
      try. Even so, as it puts together the machinery, bit by bit, from
      genes to bodies to brains--and perhaps someday to emotions--science
      has at last begun to understand what it means not to be woman.

      by Steve Jones
      Y: The Descent of Men
      Revealing the Mysteries of Maleness
      Houghton Mifflin Company, New York 2003