      From: existlist@yahoogroups.com [mailto:existlist@yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of louise
      Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:55 PM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [existlist] anguish

      Mostly we are too spiritually weak, in the West, to make atonement
      in the right way. Even on this list, I think the casual talk about
      politics, which I fought and fought against, within myself, not to
      rest in similar insouciance, and I think I lost that battle,
      briefly, yes even on this list the casual is horror.
      Kierkegaard
      cannot be understood without appreciating that.

      Bob... Have no idea what you are talking about. (Not that it does not make
      sense of course, I have to first understand what somebody means before I
      make
      that judgment)

      The most profound
      philosophers are realists. Whether they be intellectuals grave and
      sober, or sensualists who smell the blood, they know evil when they
      see it. So what I'm saying is that, if I were spiritually robust
      enough, I would be wearing sackcloth and ashes right now. Sick at
      what my country is a party to.

      Bob. True, If you realize there not much you can do about it, why bother.
      Take voting. No matter how you rationalize it, your singular vote does not
      matter. It will not decide anything, Especially in a National Election the
      Odds
      go to near zero. (Divided by your Lifespan for it to Happen- not talking
      billions of
      elections here- some humor)
      People Wear Sackcloth and Ashes because they enjoy it, you were not born
      with a different
      brain type.(Hardware), You are stuck to think like you are, what amazes me
      is would like to View Life with a more illogical Mind instead of yours, so
      you could
      achieve some Political Objective, How odd... Are you Crazy ?

      I have read virtually nothing of
      what Sartre and de Beauvoir had to say. They seem to me singularly
      unlikely to provide any solutions that bear on contemporary
      politics, if what I have seen posted here is anything to go by.

      Bob... His Ideas can be interpred like the Bible if you go deep enough.
      Taking these (heros) that serious would be (Like Religion) like pretending
      like Archimedes would
      be more an authority on Nuclear Physics than Einstein.

      Mass carnage and mass distraction, the standard material of our
      information outlets, it is all an almost incredible aberration.

      Bob... Sucks when nobody likes your type of TV Show, Don't be so critical
      of the Normal (average) when you seem to wish you were one of them. (even if
      it
      is for a sick twisted reason)

      Until that is felt, and believed, useful revolution as opposed to
      coffee-shop debates is unlikely to occur. And I for one cannot
      think of a single twentieth century revolution I could
      call 'useful'. Reading, thinking, waiting, dancing. I don't know
      what else there is to do.

      Bob... Soceity(even the world) Happens to be relatively Stable, given
      the past. It takes a crisis to change things, Even with Iraq things are
      peaceful (ok oil is higher and it would not have been if it were not for the
      war
      because China and India would not grow economically as fast and drain the
      supply
      like they are doing- simple economics joke)

      Louise

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic