32904theist meets scientists

    Feb 15, 2005
      An inverted comma is not an apostrophe.

      [Gk. apo, away, strephein, to turn.]

      1. Rhet. A figure, in which a speaker or writer suddenly stops in
      his discourse, and turns to address pointedly some person or thing,
      either present or absent; an exclamatory address. (Not confined, as
      occas. stated, to a person present* (Quintilian), and the absent*,
      or dead*.)
      ... The a. to light at the commencement of the third book [of
      *Paradise Lost*] COLERIDGE

      - Shorter Oxford English Dictionary

      "Hail, holy light, offspring of heav'n first-born,
      Or of th'eternal co-eternal beam
      May I express this unblam'd? since GOD is light,
      And never but in unapproached light
      Dwelt from eternity, dwelt then in thee,
      Bright effluence of bright essence increate.
      Or hear'st thou rather pure ethereal stream,
      Whose fountain who shall tell? before the sun,
      Before the heavens thou wert, and at the voice
      Of GOD, as with a mantle, didst invest
      The rising world of waters dark and deep,
      Won from the void and formless infinite.
      Thee I revisit now with bolder wing,
      Escap'd the Stygian pool, though long detain'd
      In that obscure sojourn, while in my flight
      Through utter and through middle darkness borne,
      With other notes, than to th'Orphean lyre,
      I sung of Chaos and eternal Night,
      Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down
      The dark descent, and up to reascend,
      Though hard and rare : thee I revisit safe,
      And feel thy sov'reign vital lamp ; but thou
      Revisit'st not these eyes, that roll in vain
      To find thy piercing ray, and find no dawn;
      So thick a drop serene hath quenched their orbs,
      Or dim suffusion veil'd. Yet not the more
      Cease I to wander where the Muses haunt
      Clear spring, or shady grove, or sunny hill,
      Smit with the love of sacred song ... "

      Ah, angel of light, thou should'st be living at this hour.
      Mayhap thou art ....

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Trinidad Cruz" <trinidad@i...>

      <v.valleywestdental@m...> wrote:

      > > .Bill