31226relations and ships

    Nov 18, 2004
      Nietzsche was and in the light of eternity still is a nihilist, and
      not a revolutionary. Remember his wish to have written 'Will to
      Power' in French, his statelessness, the fact that he was German but
      could not bear the kind of revolutionary fervour he saw in Germans
      in his day. And what is revolutionary? Was his embarrassing
      brother-in-law a revolutionary? These are my opinions and
      questions, chaotically mixed. I interpret Nietzsche's nihilism both
      through having fallen in love with the man as an existentialist and
      an author, and also through the solitary, almost solipsistic
      intellect of Martin Heidegger. Was Heidegger a revolutionary? Was
      Hitler a revolutionary? It's as though I know what I think, but
      it's not in the form of language yet. Did I ever mention how on
      first grappling with Nietzsche's thought, I was awaiting with
      excitement a postal package from Heffer's the booksellers containing
      the 'Heidegger on Nietzsche' volumes? Paul was opening the package
      when it arrived, and I was jumping up and down asking, 'Is it
      Nietzsche, is it Nietzsche?' Now I've gone to the shelf to clarify
      my memory. The three volumes we own (I borrowed volume One from
      Lincoln library, I guess) are dated Nov 86, Apr 87, Aug 89. The
      Nihilism volume was the first to arrive. I don't know anything
      philosophical about Camus at all, and kind of feel I should, if only
      to be sociable in present company.

      Louise
      ... still blank about the word 'absurdist' - maybe mental image of a
      parrot, either living or stuffed, but that's about it ...