3057RE: [existlist] certainty of meaning

  • Eduard Alf
    Aug 2, 2001

      I sometimes think that religion is like a filter.
      it serves to find and expose the best of the
      moments of human activity. the goodness that is
      within human nature is always there, but we seem
      to need to sort of freeze-frame it, so that we can
      say, "yes, that was good. That is our meaning".
      That is why we have the stories of Christ's
      passion, of the good Samaritan, of Mary washing
      the feet of Jesus. They are the AVI's of a less
      technical era.

      But for all of that, it does not provide evidence
      of a transcendental god.

      I think in the end that, like the concept of
      "ether", one arrives at the point for which there
      is such a lack of evidence that the only
      conclusion that one can make is that it does not