      From: Roggles457@...
      [mailto:Roggles457@...]
      Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2001 6:20 PM
      To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [existlist] Parental upbringing and
      influence

      I feel that the topic has perhaps grown
      tiresome for now, so I hope I
      will leave it be with these final thoughts (that's
      not a promise though.) It
      is not necessarily a strict upbringing that sets
      kids into these mindsets.
      How many children do you all know who are a
      religion different than that of
      either of their parents? That hooks the kids into
      Christianity early, before
      they even understand the concepts. Likely, they
      will never learn the
      concepts. This is part of what Kierkegaard railed
      against in his various
      attacks on Christendom. Furthermore, once they
      have grown older, most people
      don't like change, and the sometimes devestating
      loss of a Faith they have
      had for many years scares them into deluding
      themselves. Also, a wise man
      (can't remember quite who, maybe Descartes?) said
      all philosophizing begins
      with doubt. However, in many areas (not so much
      in the United States or
      other similar places), people who have been
      brought up into major world
      religions (Christianity, Islam, etc) have no
      reason to doubt. Their entire
      lives, they are bombarded constantly with one
      religion, and very rarely with
      any other possible beliefs. Thus, it is not
      really too much of a freedom,
      since one is not really presented with a choice.
      Very few have the
      intellectual capability to merely change ones
      beliefs to something previously
      unencountered by that person.
      In my opinion, the whole idea of baptizing and
      confirming children at
      such a young age is not a good idea. Instead, I
      propose this. All kids must
      wait until a more adult age, say 21 (though that
      is not firm), until being
      able to be baptized. Once at that point, they are
      to take a class in which
      they learn about many other world religions and
      philosophies, with no more
      emphasis on Christianity than any of the others,
      before allowing the person
      to choose to be baptized. Then see if as many as
      before are Christians. Oh
      yea, and I know what someone is going to argue
      inevitably. "What if the
      child dies before being baptized, is that fair
      that he has to go to
      Hell/Purgatory?" Luckily, the Church itself (The
      catholic church at least)
      has a nice convenient loophole, something called a
      baptism of intent. If you
      are intending to be baptized at a future date,
      such as would be the case if
      growing up in a christian househould, then you are
      considered baptized if you
      die prematurely. That is official Church Dogma,
      but it helps my case. Just
      a new way of looking at things.

      Ryan
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic