27662Re: Louise SPAMS Trinidad

    Apr 3, 2004
      Susan,
      Wow! I have no personal animus toward you at all, and appreciate
      you're busy and acting in good faith within your own believed
      parameters of value; but that statement of yours, that you don't
      have to be an existentialist in order to keep us all on topic is so
      amazing to me that I haven't closed my mouth yet.
      I have actually had private messages of support; and though I
      absolutely believe you never intended it, for me the worst 'verbal
      knives' have emanated from you as moderator, castigating and
      instructing me both on this message board and to my mail-box.
      However, now this is all out in the open, and after much sleep last
      evening and overnight, I have to say I feel like a new person, so to
      speak, and hope there'll be no more need for controversy, at least
      from my quarter. I came to this group to discuss philosophy, and
      never in the world to seek therapy, which is the last thing I need,
      in my opinion; and I wish to continue discussing philosophy here for
      as long as possible or needful.
      With all good wishes,
      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@t...>
      wrote:
      > You do not personally know Sartre or Nietzsche, therefore someone
      > rendering an opinion on them does not have anything to do with
      you.
      > Calling Sartre a jerk, after reading about his personality or
      behavior
      > is not a personal attack since he is not a member of this list.
      > Personal attacks are insults directed at someone here.
      >
      > If you disagree with someone's opinion on a philosopher you like,
      > intelligently offer a differing viewpoint, backing it up with
      evidence.
      > That is what this group is here for. Besides, admiring someone's
      > writing has nothing to do with liking them personally. Nietzsche
      may
      > very well have been a sociopath, there's no shame in that unless
      you
      > are also a murdering sociopath. Having sociopathic tendencies is
      just
      > as much a mental aberration/abnormality as being schizophrenic.
      > Nietzsche would not have any more control over sociopathic
      tendencies
      > than someone who was autistic or neurotic or pyschotic.
      >
      > Telling a sick joke about a dead pet, child, or parent is greatly
      > different from telling a joke about a public figure you don't know
      and
      > who died long ago. Besides, I can't think of what a joke about
      > someone's mental defects would be and don't believe Christopher
      would
      > have said something like that as a joke.
      >
      > As for Trinidad, I have no idea. I believe that insult occurred
      some
      > time ago. It not, then I simply may not have caught it, or I
      privately
      > asking him to cease and desist. As I've said before, many times, I
      > don't read all posts thoroughly. I don't have the time to do that.
      >
      > And no, I am not an existentialist. Nor do I voluntarily read the
      > literature of that time period (I believe the last time I read any
      of
      > the traditional existentialists was in high school). I am here to
      make
      > sure you all stay somewhat on topic and don't start hurling verbal
      > knives at each other. I don't have to have an interest in
      existential
      > literature or philosophers to do that.
      >

      > On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 12:27 AM, louise wrote:
      >
      > > Susan,
      > > I notice you don't answer my question about Trinidad's insults.
      > > Also, your idea that calling Sartre a jerk is not a personal
      attack -
      > > or, as CSW did, casually re-telling an unfunny joke about
      Nietzsche
      > > being a sociopath - well, that shows that your own relationship
      > > existentialism is purely cerebral. Like FN, I feel my
      philosophical
      > > ideas in my gut; if anyone insults a philosopher I love, whether
      > > living or dead, it's like a punch ion the gut. That's why I get
      > > angry. Can't you at least imagine your way into that? Suppose
      > > someone told a sick joke about a cat of yours that had died ...
      > > Louise
      > >

      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@t...>
      > > wrote:
      > >> Calling Sartre, or any other writer, a jerk is not a personal
      > > attack.
      > >> That is an opinion.
      > >>
      > >> If Sartre was a member of this group, calling him a jerk would
      be
      > >> personal attack.

      > > in
      > > fart,