27438Bill

  • jerryjfortin@aol.com
    Mar 28, 2004
      His name is Bill. He has wild hair, wears T-shirt with holes in it, jeans,
      and no shoes.
      This was literally his wardrobe for his entire four years of college. He is
      brilliant - kind of esoteric; and very, very bright. He became a Christian
      while attending college.

      Across the street from the campus is a
      well-dressed, very conservative church. They want to develop a ministry to
      the students, but are not sure how to go about it.

      One day Bill decides to go there. He walks in with no shoes, wearing jeans,
      his T-shirt, and wild hair.

      The service has already started so Bill starts
      down the aisle looking for a seat. The church is completely packed and he
      can't find a seat. By now, people are really looking a bit uncomfortable, but
      no one says anything. Bill gets closer and closer and closer to the pulpit,
      and when he realizes there are no seats, he just squats down right on the
      carpet.

      (Although perfectly acceptable behavior at a
      college fellowship, trust me, this had never
      happened in this church before!)

      By now the people are really uptight, and the tension in the air is thick.
      About this time, the minister realizes that, from way at the back of he church,
      a deacon is slowly making his way toward Bill.

      Now the deacon is in his eighties, has silver-gray hair, and a three-piece
      suit. A godly man - very elegant - very dignified - very courtly. He walks with
      a cane and, as he starts walking toward this boy, everyone is saying to
      themselves that you can't blame him for what he's going to do. How can you
      expect a man of his age and of his background to understand some college kid
      on the floor?

      It takes a long time for the man to reach the boy. The church is utterly
      silent except for the clicking of the man's cane. All eyes are focused on him. You
      can't even hear anyone breathing. The minister can't even preach the sermon
      until the deacon does what he
      has to do.

      And now they see this elderly man drop his cane on the floor. With great
      difficulty, he lowers himself and sits down next to Bill and worships with him so
      he won't be alone. Everyone chokes up with emotion.

      When the minister gains control, he says, "What I'm about to preach, you will
      never remember. What you have just seen, you will never forget. Be careful
      how you live. You may be the only Bible some people will ever read."

      Pass this to People you want God to Bless. I DID!

      This is why I am the way I am......

      Jerry