26518Re: [existlist] Historical Grudges, was Re: Independent George meets Relation...

  • Susan Schnelbach
    Mar 1, 2004
      I kinda like the "First Nations" term. It seems more appropriate than
      "Indian," (since that's confusing when speaking to or about someone
      from India) but I've never heard "First Nations" used before this.

      On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 06:45 PM, eduard at home wrote:

      > Mary Jo,
      >
      > I don't know about Vine Deloria Jr., but the proper name is "First
      > Nations", just as it is not appropriate to refer to "Eskimos" but
      > rather to the "Inuit". When one is speaking about the population of
      > some country, it is proper to refer to an ethnic group if this is
      > necessary for clarity of the description. It is not the case that one
      > should at the same time list each and every ethnic group.
      >
      > eduard

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic