26510Re: [existlist] Historical Grudges, was Re: Independent George meets Relation...

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Mar 1, 2004
      These "people", whatever you wish to call "them" disagree amongst themselves as to what the proper terminology should be. Some AmerInd women hate the word "squaw", and some embrace it. When speaking of a greater ethnic group it would be impossible to list every single tribe and nation. Give me a total break. When someone uses the term American, African, European, or even specific countries, etc. do we pause to list each and every ethnic group? As an American with a substantial AmerInd heritage, this just all sounds silly to me. Vine Deloria, Jr., one of my favorite activist/lawyer/writers uses the term "Indian". So there.

      Mary Jo

      jerryjfortin@... wrote:
      In a message dated 29/02/2004 2:39:59 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      susan@... writes:

      > I disagree with the use of the term 'American Indian.'

      Thats good Susan because I think "they" do too. Up here we call them Members
      of the First Nations. We make no distinction between tribes, that would
      require an informed opinion on peoples of the First Nations, which we decidedly
      don't have.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      Do you Yahoo!?