24628Re: sleepwalking & schizophrenia discussion groups

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Feb 1, 2004
      Louise,

      My mother would always relapse, because she wouldn't take her meds.
      Her relatives never knew what to do with her and often discovered her
      relapsed state quite a while after the fact. Then, she would be
      institutionalized for a spell, then released. This was her cycle for
      over 30 years. The meds kept getting stronger and the visits to the
      asylum were longer over time. She had very severe symptoms however,
      but she could always tell us quite "lucidly" what she was seeing and
      hearing. It seemed a cry for help. As a consequence of her illness,
      she wasn't a fit mother and rarely cared for her 6 children.

      Sometimes, after listening to some of us exchange ideas here in this
      group, I can't help but feel that the ambibuities we think and feel
      are just a milder form of schizophrenia. You know what I mean? This
      isn't to downplay the seriousness of the condition, but to
      demonstrate that our ever changing moods and ideas seem to create an
      almost delusional reality from which we struggle daily to make some
      sense.

      Mary Jo

      > Eduard,
      > Wow! Those Mars pictures are something else, even though at
      present
      > I've only really taken a cursory look. I know it sounds silly, but
      > that surface looks unearthly.
      > Sceptic (I've decided to demote him) has described to me how I can
      > save the pictures on the computer, not something I've tried yet.
      He
      > seemed interested - though sceptical - about the 3D glasses idea.
      > As for me, I think I'll be pretty much back to normal within a day
      > or two. The oddest things happen to me - when I was up in the wee,
      > and advancing, small hours, I visited my 'schizophrenia is not a
      > disease' group (without which I'ld never have made it as far as
      > existlist), to find that, before my eyes, a new member ( male
      > psychiatric nurse) was posting his first message. I posted back
      > briefly, to say hello, only to find another new member posting for
      > the first time - a female psychiatrist. This was handy, as I could
      > just say hello to her too, and leave them to it. The context for
      > this seeming odd is that this increases the number of posting
      > contributors by fifty per cent. Big group, small group, lurking is
      > ever popular.
      > The only group I lurk on is the 'schizophrenia-is-a-disease-we-are-
      > very-kind-but-be-sure-to-take-your-meds' group, where I learnt, for
      > instance, the useful insight, that, in a crisis, it may be better
      > turn to a CN (chronically normal), wherever one may turn up.
      > I'm sure our house needs cleaning, as well, but I really must give
      > priority to the hamster cages. Actually, this work may re-activate
      > my physical energies, for all I know. The weather's mild and dry
      > enough today to make feasible use of the mangle in the yard (the
      > spin belt on our gorgeous 1960s twin tub has snapped, and appears
      > be obsolete, though only last year a similar problem proved
      > soluble. Sceptic's joined a virtual twin-tub-loving emporium in
      > hopes of making progress: lots of pictures of gleaming machines
      (oh,
      > those green ones...)overflowing with hot suds.
      > Well, that's enough for now.
      > Don't tire yourself out.
      > Louise.
      >

      > In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > > I am going to try the Roi du Dollar shop at the Gallery d'Aylmer
      > tomorrow, to see if they have any of these glasses. Other than
      > that, I suppose I shall have to make some out of green/red plastic
      > sheeting.
      > >
      > > I have not seen the news release regarding the finding of water.
      > So far it has only been guesses. What is interesting is that the
      > tracks left by the rover are like what you expect on wet soil.
      > >
      > > eduard

      Coooooooolllllllllllllllll!