24623Re: [existlist] Re: Knowledge

  • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
    Jan 31, 2004
      In a message dated 1/31/2004 9:30:56 PM Central Standard Time,
      alcyon11@... writes:

      Don't you think that people simply use the word "believe" when they
      mean "think"? I'm sure it's careless, and I do it quite often. I
      think that the chair will hold me, and I believe the chair will hold
      me seem similar in meaning. When it comes to ideas and philosophy, if
      we say we believe something is true, it seems to draw a negative
      reaction. I get tired of using the same words, so I like to try what
      I think/believe are words of similar meaning. When we say, such and
      such, without the qualifier "I think" or "I believe" or "I feel
      that", people think we're arrogant and stating a fact; when all we're
      doing is stating an opinion. There's another one: "in my opinion". I
      think if we put it in the context of what's being said, it shouldn't
      be confusing. Am I assuming too much? I don't know.

      Mary Jo

      Reminds me of the old joke, "Everybody's got to believe in something and I
      believe I'll have another beer."
      IOW, you're not asuming too much at all. The word "believe" just has a
      fairly broad semantic range and there is nothing at all careless about using it
      as you do.
      Ed Tyler