24621Re: [existlist] Re: the nameless Psychologist

  • George Walton
    Jan 31, 2004
      No, he is not. At least not that I am aware of.

      Mary Jo Malo <alcyon11@...> wrote:Biggie,

      Is David published? I'd be interested in reading his work. I would
      say that the only thing you and I have in common IS the
      acknowledgment of the power of words. I'm interested in how and why
      people use words to communicate basically nothing to one another.

      Mary Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>
      wrote:
      > Mary Jo,
      >
      > No, you do not "get" me. Otherwise, I would be extending you an
      invitation to meet David and Annie...to consider participating in the
      Spin Cycle with The Troupe.

      > But that is merely a point of view, right? And hardly an important
      one. It's not like The Troupe is the CIA or some super secret
      organization that moves the world. We are just a bunch of ordinary
      folks intrigued with transfiguring what John Fowles did in The Magus
      [re the relationship between Nicholas, Conchis, June and Julie] out
      into cyberspace. I don't even participate actively anymore. Just
      occasionally. And, again, I go fishing for minds---for nihilists of a
      particular bent.

      > And you don't really like or dislike me at all. Why? Because you
      don't know me. You know only the persona I project in rooms like
      this. But, then, that flows the same way from you to me, right? That,
      in part, is what makes cyberspace discussions so intriguing---and
      surreal. And it is all about words, by and large.

      > David is not a practising psychologist. He does not see patients.
      He does research, by and large. How he "influences" others, however,
      is by reintroducing them to language. Words acquire what he calls
      a "magical and mystical" quality in human discourse. We name things,
      in other words. But some things cannot be named. Not really. So, he
      is fascinated by the relationships between language and idealism and
      ideology and psychological defense mechanisms. It relates to Milan
      Kundera's conjecture about weighting down the unbearable lightness of
      being. And one of the easiest ways to do that, of course, is with
      words. We make them mean what we want them to name...and,
      concomittantly, what we want them to name is what we think will make
      us feel grounded psychologically.

> [...]
      > I don't always "like" you ;-) I have a question about your
      psychology
      > prone acquaintances which involves the practice of psychology
      rather
      > than the academics. How do psychologists NOT influence their
      patients
      > with their personal perspectives. I mean look at the abuses
      > of "recovered memories", "Christian counselors", and now, heaven
      > forbid the possibility of "Nihilist" shrinks. Seriously, I can
      > understand an existentialist psychiatrist, but a nihilist? Perhaps
      > don't recall your explanation of all this, or this isn't related at
      > all. Perhaps I'm raising a general question for discussion in this
      > group. I can't say for certain ;-)
      >
      > Mary Jo
      >
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Ingenuity leaps to mind. ; )
      > >
      > > Mary Jo Malo <alcyon11@y...> wrote:Biggie,
      > >
      > > I admire your integrity, or is that stubborness?
      > >
      > > Jo
      > >
      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton
      <iambiguously@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Mary Jo,
      > > >
      > > > Yes, from time to time I too feel compelled to squeak [and
      > squawk]
      > > in Existlist. If for no other reason it's one of the few venues
      in
      > > all of Cyberspace where I have not been kicked out. ; )
      > > >
      > > > Actually, I am just doing some recon for David and Annie. I'm
      > kind
      > > of a recruiter now for The Troupe. I plop down particularly bleak
      > > nihilistic rants---thus the preponderance of Emile Cioran---as
      > bait.
      > > Just trying to ensnare fellow nihilists, as it were.
      > > >
      > > > I'm beginning to think however that, alas, all 9 of us are
      > already
      > > ensnared!! Still, I sneak the occasional peak at posts from you
      > and
      > > Bill and Eduard etc to see if any of you have finally collapsed.
      > > >
      > > > Not so far, but God willing....
      > > >

      > > > Biggie
      > > >

      > > > Mary Jo Malo <alcyon11@y...> wrote:
      > > > squeak
      > > >
      > > > Yes.
      > > >
      > > > Jo
      > > >
      > > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "iambiguously"
      > > <iambiguously@y...>

      > > we
      > > on,
      > > > meaningless
      > are
      > > > lost,
      > is
      > > > not

      > gravity,
      > > > Iraq,

      > > Nor

      > --
      > > > and
      > objectively:
      > > moral
      > > most

      > > > (Includes community book list, chat, and more.)

      Service.