24613Re: [existlist] Re: the nameless

  • George Walton
    Jan 31, 2004
      Mary Jo,

      No, you do not "get" me. Otherwise, I would be extending you an invitation to meet David and Annie...to consider participating in the Spin Cycle with The Troupe.

      But that is merely a point of view, right? And hardly an important one. It's not like The Troupe is the CIA or some super secret organization that moves the world. We are just a bunch of ordinary folks intrigued with transfiguring what John Fowles did in The Magus [re the relationship between Nicholas, Conchis, June and Julie] out into cyberspace. I don't even participate actively anymore. Just occasionally. And, again, I go fishing for minds---for nihilists of a particular bent.

      And you don't really like or dislike me at all. Why? Because you don't know me. You know only the persona I project in rooms like this. But, then, that flows the same way from you to me, right? That, in part, is what makes cyberspace discussions so intriguing---and surreal. And it is all about words, by and large.

      David is not a practising psychologist. He does not see patients. He does research, by and large. How he "influences" others, however, is by reintroducing them to language. Words acquire what he calls a "magical and mystical" quality in human discourse. We name things, in other words. But some things cannot be named. Not really. So, he is fascinated by the relationships between language and idealism and ideology and psychological defense mechanisms. It relates to Milan Kundera's conjecture about weighting down the unbearable lightness of being. And one of the easiest ways to do that, of course, is with words. We make them mean what we want them to name...and, concomittantly, what we want them to name is what we think will make us feel grounded psychologically.

      Biggie

      Mary Jo Malo <alcyon11@...> wrote:
      Biggie,

      Clever is fun. Being the provocative or evocative "clown" apparently
      gives meaning to your life, and you cause us to seriously question
      what we say here. You force us to contemplate the words we use, and
      that's something we need to do from time to time. I do "get" you, but
      I don't always "like" you ;-) I have a question about your psychology
      prone acquaintances which involves the practice of psychology rather
      than the academics. How do psychologists NOT influence their patients
      with their personal perspectives. I mean look at the abuses
      of "recovered memories", "Christian counselors", and now, heaven
      forbid the possibility of "Nihilist" shrinks. Seriously, I can
      understand an existentialist psychiatrist, but a nihilist? Perhaps I
      don't recall your explanation of all this, or this isn't related at
      all. Perhaps I'm raising a general question for discussion in this
      group. I can't say for certain ;-)

      Mary Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>

      Service.