24594Re: the nameless

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Jan 30, 2004
      Biggie,

      I admire your integrity, or is that stubborness?

      Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>
      wrote:
      > Mary Jo,
      >
      > Yes, from time to time I too feel compelled to squeak [and squawk]
      in Existlist. If for no other reason it's one of the few venues in
      all of Cyberspace where I have not been kicked out. ; )

      > Actually, I am just doing some recon for David and Annie. I'm kind
      of a recruiter now for The Troupe. I plop down particularly bleak
      nihilistic rants---thus the preponderance of Emile Cioran---as bait.
      Just trying to ensnare fellow nihilists, as it were.

      > I'm beginning to think however that, alas, all 9 of us are already
      ensnared!! Still, I sneak the occasional peak at posts from you and
      Bill and Eduard etc to see if any of you have finally collapsed.

      <iambiguously@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > From Simon Critchley's "Very Little...Almost Nothing":
      > >
      > > "We cannot speak of that which we would like to speak...and yet
      we
      > > cannot not speak, blissful though this might seem: 'you must go
      on,
      > > can't go on, I'll go on'. There is only this voice, this
      > meaningless
      > > voice 'which prevents you from being nothing' and all it has are
      > > words 'and not many of them'. And even when Malone writes 'I am
      > lost,
      > > not a word..or Krapp says 'Nothing to say, not a squeak', this is
      > not
      > > yet silence, it is yet a word, a squeak."
      > >
      > > Yet lots and lots of things can be named, of course. And with a
      > > rather high degree of objectivity: rock, tree, mountain, gravity,
      > > molecule, arm, lightning, tornado, felatio, flute, rape, fetus,
      > Iraq,
      > > Congress, dictionary.
      > >
      > > Most of the words we use from day to day, in fact, are merely
      > > understood to mean what they do and almost no one questions it.
      Nor
      > > should they. They simply describe what is.
      > >
      > > But there are also words that name only what we think they mean---
      > and
      > > can never name more; words that can never be denoted objectively:
      > > freedom, justice, right, wrong, good, bad...truth...being and
      > > nothingness. In fact, many of the words used to discuss human
      moral
      > > and political interaction, emotional and psychological states,
      > > identity, aesthetics, ontology, teleology etc. really are just
      > > squeaks for all intents and purposes. Yet these, alas, are the
      most
      > > important words of all in venues like this one.
      > >
      > > Right?
      > >
      > > Biggie

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.