23093pleasure

  • eduard at home
    Dec 1, 2003
      In the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" there is an exchange
      between Lawrence [Peter O'Toole] and Auda abu Tayi [Anthony
      Quinn]. Lawrence is trying to get Auda abu Tayi to join him
      in attacking the Turk stronghold at Aqaba. I am sure you
      all remember the scene ...

      T.E. Lawrence: My friends, we have been foolish. Auda will
      not come to Aqaba. Not for money...

      Auda Abu Tayi: No.

      T.E. Lawrence: ...for Feisal...

      Auda Abu Tayi: No!

      T.E. Lawrence: ...nor to drive away the Turks. He will
      come... because it is his pleasure.

      [Pause]

      Auda Abu Tayi: Thy mother mated with a scorpion.

      The key phrase here is "because it is his pleasure".

      So we get up in the morning, and make choices for our future
      existence because it is for our pleasure. The difficulty of
      course is that the normal expectation is of immediate
      gratification, whereas in this case the pleasure is in the
      future which makes things a bit harder. It's easier to
      quite school to get a McJob and that fast car, then to
      obtain a better education and later reward. To put off
      expectation in order to derive the later and better reward
      of lasting pleasure is the Epicurean approach.

      Keep those neurons happy .....

      eduard