22532Re: [existlist] Nihilism, Nietzsche and human psychology

  • Rita Crow
    Oct 2, 2003
      Actually the translation of meek is misconstrued by most people. It should read flexible, pliable, able to change, adapt.--this would exemplify the warrior, not the meek somanliness that rigid religious teachings present. Rita

      iambiguously <iambiguously@...> wrote:From Thomas Hibbs "Shows About Nothing" pages 17 and 18

      "Nietzsche admits that nihilism means that 'the highest values
      devalue themselves', that the 'aim is lacking' and that 'why? finds
      no answer'"

      Notice here that Hibbs has Nietzsche "admitting" this, as though
      having to grudgingly acknowledge there are things about human
      moral/social/political interactions in a Godless universe that might
      be construed emotionally and psychologically in a disturbing or
      distasteful manner. This mentality pervades Hibbs commentary, in my
      view. He is very good, for example, at articulating Nietzsche's
      philosophy but finds the consequences of it discommitting---as
      though to suggest that, because Nietzsche [and nihilism] make us
      feel very, very uncomfortable at times this, in and of itself, is a
      reason to distance ourselves and our behaviors around others from
      them. Never mind how reasonable the philosophical arguments
      themselves might actually be.

      Hibbs than notes how Nietzsche noted Christian morality as
      "the great antidiote against....nihilism". Which, of course,
      Nietzsche rejects. Instead, "...Nietzsche forges ahead and invites
      the crises as a means of purification, of restoring an 'order of
      rank according to strenght'. We can see here the reemergance of the
      virile, heroic warrior, whose distinguishing mark is a creative and
      courageous boldness, the antithesis....[of the] feminine, Christian
      virtues of humilitiy and sympathy."

      And, just like Pavlov's dogs, we are supposed to read that and, in
      turn, immediately start connecting the appropriate dots: Nietzsche
      leads to nihilism leads to the "will to power" leads to the Uberman
      leads to Hitler leads to the Holocaus; and then, no doubt, to Osama
      bin Laden, 9/11 and Saddam Hussein?

      First of all, while I believe Hibbs' account is a more or less
      accurate portrayal of how Nietzsche viewed the moral consequences of
      the Death of God, the Uberman and the "will to power", it is again,
      just one man's opinion and does not necessarily make connecting
      those dots as Hibbs seems to imply they should, the only way they
      CAN be connected. Secondly, it treats Nietzsche's philosophy so as
      to yank it out of the historical and cultural context in which it
      was given birth and nurtured. It would, in my view, be analogous to
      interpreting Marx and the Communist Manifesto without situating them
      historically in the horor and tubulence and inhumanity and brutal
      exploitation of the working classes that unfolded contiguously with
      the Industrial Revolution.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Do you Yahoo!?