20369Re: [existlist] Miguel de Unamuno - The Tragic Sense of Life

  • yeoman
    Jun 1, 2003
      Zith,

      I can see what Unamuno is getting at. "Love" is not
      something by itself, like a commodity that might be passed
      between persons. Rather, it is the way in which we react
      within ourselves to the object of our love. If feeling warm
      inside could be taken as the characteristic of love [it is
      more complicated than that], then when two people love each
      other, then each produces this warmth as a reaction. That
      is why falling out of love creates such a turmoil, since it
      results in a loss of something within ourselves. We were
      happy and felt that happiness ... now it is gone. But to
      have this feeling of warmth, depends upon the assumption
      that the other person is feeling the same. We look into her
      eyes to get a confirmation that she too is feeling this
      warmth. This is something that has developed within the
      human species through evolution.

      That is why we have gods. When we look out onto a beautiful
      sunset, we may appreciate its beauty. But appreciation is
      only one sided, if we believe that the sunset is due simply
      to the refraction of light at longer wavelengths. If we are
      to "love" the sunset, then something inside of us tries to
      formulate a person in the sunset [a god] in order to really
      love it. Love is two sided.

      Similarly hate is two sided. If we have pain then in order
      to hate our condition, we personify the cause. It is not
      some virus producing an inflammation, but due to a god, or
      perhaps a Satan. Or even ourselves, in which case the
      reaction is against ourselves [our stupidity for causing the
      pain] and this internal response to something which is
      internal can easily spiral into the abyss of depression.