19705Re: [existlist] Faith and Existentialism

  • David Leon
    May 2, 2003
      From: "yeoman" <yeoman@...>
      To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 6:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [existlist] Faith and Existentialism

      > Dave,
      > I don't know what you mean by "reductionist terms". It is a
      > matter of basic English. By adding an adjective you modify
      > the base term and create a subset. If you say you have a
      > red wagon, then you have a subset of wagons -- those which
      > are red.
      > Faith is not Existentialism, and Existentialism is not
      > faith. To say that there is such a thing as Christian
      > Existentialism or Scientific Existentialism, or Islamic
      > Existentialism implies that these Existentialism are somehow
      > different from each other.

      And therefore...a red wagon, let me see, is not a wagon?

      If you'd never ever ever ever seen or heard directly about or thought of
      somebody that might appear like "a black person" and you were "white" (and
      knock off a few hundred years of history if it helps somehow), then would
      you instantly think "Oh yeah! He's just a person!" upon seeing one? ..It'd
      be a little in question who he was, how he worked, at the very LEAST in the
      moment. But you'd be (logically) required (not politically) to expand your
      scope and experience of what a human can be.