19595File - FAQ

  • existlist@yahoogroups.com
    May 1, 2003
      ExistList FAQ

      Last Updated: 20-Apr-2003 01:57

      Contents
      1.0 The List
      1.1 The list's purpose
      1.2 History
      1.3 URLs for the list
      1.4 Founder and moderators
      1.5 Rules
      2.0 Topics Discussed
      2.1 Existentialism
      2.2 Phenomenology
      3.0 More Information
      3.1 Official Exist List pages
      3.2 Yahoo Homepage

      1.0 The "Exist List"

      1.1 Purpose
      This mailing list is a community interested in
      existentialism and phenomenology. Yes, Sartre,
      Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard, but also many others:
      Frankl, May, Jaspers, and Merleau-Ponty to name a
      few. This list encourages questions and exchanges
      of information. We want to know about the latest
      literature, articles, book releases, and more.

      1.2 History
      The list was started in the late 1980s on the
      BITNET. It moved to FidoNet in 1992, then to
      OneList, eGroups, and finally landing at its
      current home on Yahoo Groups by 1999.

      1.3 URLs for the Exist List
      The mailing list URL is:

      The Official homepage URL is:
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

      I maintain the "Existential Primer" at the
      preceding URL. It is only a primer, not an all-
      inclusive look at existentialism, phenomenology,
      and continental philosophy.

      1.4 Founder and Moderators
      I, C. S. Wyatt, founded the list. Visit the URL
      and read what I have posted. I am a reader and
      writer interested in philosophy.

      Is this group actively moderated? Ideally, no.
      Only violations of the "personal attack" rule are
      likely to result in a temporary "kick" from the
      list. We have never "banned" anyone from the list
      permanently and would like to keep it that way.
      Language violations receive a private warning,
      and that tends to be sufficient.

      Moderators vary over time and may be located via
      the Yahoo page.

      1.5 What are the rules of the list?
      No personal attacks. No lengthy discussions of
      specific religious issues (take those to other
      lists, please). No strong profanity (you know
      which words those would be). Be polite, and try
      to keep discussions on the topic of philosophy as
      much as possible.

      2.0 List Topics
      First, new members should read our Official Homepage:
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

      After reading the homepage, then try to remain on
      topic. Topics allowed include existentialism,
      phenomenology, and Continental philosophy.

      2.1 Existentialism Defined
      Visit
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/elexicon.asp for
      a list of definitions and a complete lexicon used
      by academics when discussing existententialism.

      2.1.1 Merriam-Webster Online
      ex�is�ten�tial�ism. Pronunciation: -'ten(t)-
      sh&-"li-z&m. noun. A chiefly 20th century
      philosophical movement embracing diverse
      doctrines but centering on analysis of
      individual existence in an unfathomable
      universe and the plight of the individual
      who must assume ultimate responsibility for
      his acts of free will without any certain
      knowledge of what is right or wrong or good
      or bad

      2.1.2 Webster's New World Dictionary, Second
      College Edition. William Collins Publishers,
      Inc.; Cleveland, Ohio; 1979
      The doctrine that existence takes precedence
      over essence and holding that man is totally
      free and responsible for his acts. This
      responsibility is the source of dread and
      anguish that encompass mankind.

      2.1.3 American Heritage Dictionary of the
      English Language, Third Edition. Houghton
      Mifflin Company, 1992
      A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness
      and isolation of the individual experience
      in a hostile or indifferent universe,
      regards human existence as unexplainable,
      and stresses freedom of choice and
      responsibility for the consequences of one's
      acts.

      2.1.4 Britannica Concise Encyclopedia.
      April 20, 2003, from Encyclop�dia Britannica
      Premium Service.
      http://www.britannica.com/

      Philosophical movement oriented toward two
      major themes, the analysis of human existence
      and the centrality of human choice.

      Existentialism's chief theoretical energies
      are thus devoted to questions about ontology
      and decision. It traces its roots to the
      writings of Soren Kierkegaard and Friedrich
      Nietzsche. As a philosophy of human existence,
      existentialism found its best 20th-century
      exponent in Karl Jaspers; as a philosophy of
      human decision, its foremost representative
      was J.-P. Sartre. Sartre finds the essence
      of human existence in freedom�in the duty of
      self-determination and the freedom of choice�
      and therefore spends much time describing the
      human tendency toward "bad faith," reflected
      in humanity's perverse attempts to deny its
      own responsibility and flee from the truth
      of its inescapable freedom.

      2.2 Phenomenolgy

      2.2.1 Merriam-Webster Online
      phe�nom�e�nol�o�gy. Pronunciation: fi-"n�-
      m&-'n�-l&-jE. noun. circa 1797
      Etymology: German Ph�nomenologie, from
      Ph�nomenon phenomenon + -logie �logy
      1: the study of the development of human
      consciousness and self-awareness as a
      preface to philosophy or a part of
      philosophy. Experience usually is considered
      over science, senses over objective reality
      due to how we acquire knowledge.
      2 (a) A philosophical movement that
      describes the formal structure of the
      objects of awareness and of awareness itself
      in abstraction from any claims concerning
      existence. The typological classification of
      a class of phenomena <the phenomenology of
      religion> (b) An analysis produced by
      phenomenological investigation

      3.0 More Information

      3.1 Official List Pages
      The Existential Primer currently features
      profiles on the following writers/philosophers:
      de Beauvoir, Camus, Dostoevsky, Hegel, Heidegger,
      Husserl, Jaspers, Kafka, Kierkegaard, Merleau-
      Ponty, Nietzsche, Sartre, and several others in
      progress, too.

      The pages are works in progress. See
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/index.html on a
      regular basis for updates. For a non-framed
      version, visit
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/exist.html

      3.2 Visit the Yahoo Page
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist
      The Yahoo page and my page include links to other
      philosophy sites, databases for research, and
      even a live chat option.
    • Show all 75 messages in this topic