18299Re: [existlist] Zarathustra

  • Lorna Landry
    Apr 5, 2003
      timm,
      I too think Nietzsche is a great writer, and such an original way to present ideas. I find the idea of overcoming oneself very intriguing, but difficult to put into practice. I've tried being the ubermensch, and it was very difficult. I have my moments! A slow read on Nietzsche would be good to do on the list. I liked reading the Geneology of Morals too.
      Lorna

      timm <tmason@...> wrote:I really felt like I got a lot out of it. The desire to transcend
      yourself constantly, to better yourself, and to cast off beliefs that we
      don't need anymore. I could really relate to this alienated feeling that
      most people seem to be guided by transparent rules and beliefs - much
      harder to see through your own.

      I also think he's a really talented writer, especially this book.

      -timm

      On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Sue McPherson wrote:

      > I did look through that book. I don't read books too
      > thoroughly these days - not word for word - but this
      > one did not speak to me. Maybe just the odd quote,
      > that's all. I think there is a tendency to go by the
      > reputation of such people and hang on to every word.
      > Bur when it comes right down to it, the kind of stuff
      > Neitzsche talks about - or the way* he does - is not
      > the only truth.
      >
      > Sue McPherson

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT