14734Re: [existlist] "whomever it may concern"

  • Mark Tindall
    Feb 15 12:30 AM
      shari wrote:

      > I found Paul Tillich helpful.

      Ditto.

      > Theology has to do with the survival of both the institution and the >
      clergy.

      A truer word has not been spoken! Hence the need for each individual to
      find their path.

      > Jean-Luc Marion adds more in this line. In 'God Without
      > Being' he takes God out of the realm of metaphysics. God no
      > longer is seen as a metaphysical "being," which is bound to
      > human limited thought. We must think of God, "outside the
      > box" of ontology, being.

      Hence Tillich's term of God as 'the ground of our being' by which I mean
      Being (with a capital B ... the same as that used by Spong).

      > He argues that any attempt to define God is to diminish God
      > and worship an idol fabricated by human thought.

      Yep! God is more than the combined human imgaination over all time and
      space can guess at.

      > God is transcendent, unreachable, unattainable,

      Yep, I think we experience but a shadow of God ... but that is still
      amazing.

      > as are other humans.

      I think finite people are experienced more fully than God but not
      exhaustively.

      Mark
    • Show all 136 messages in this topic