Re: [ExGDBd] To Alan from Elizabeth

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      Elizabeth,

      What you said right here to Alan reminds me of something I went through that might help you. Years ago, when so many things were going wrong in my life (my kids, my marriage, etc) I was angry at God. I felt like I had been doing all the right things to please God--paid tithing, fasted, prayed, etc.etc.) but everything seemed to be getting worse. Someone handed me a booklet called the "Five Day Plan to know God." As I was reading through it I came to a part where it was talking about the early Jews and how they were waiting for their Messiah to come and save them from the Romans. Instead, Jesus came and He told them that He had come to deliver them from their sins. They did not want to hear that. A light bulb went off in me at that moment. I realized that I was just like these early Jews. I had come to Christ and was doing all the 'right' things for the wrong reasons; namely so God would deliver me from my problems. My whole paradigm changed then. I realized that Jesus had not come to deliver me from my trials or problems but from my sins. Problems and trials are a necessary part of earth life and growth. From that moment on I still continued trying to do the right things but I was no longer looking for deliverance from all my problems. I started working on my weaknesses and sins and asking God to help me overcome them instead.

      Bridget