Dealing With Anxiety

  • Kevin Dickson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      DEALING WITH ANXIETY

      �Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.� (Philippians 4:4-7, NKJV)

      We spend so much time worrying about things that we have absolutely no control over. However, as men and women of God, we know the One who has the power to change any situation. In Philippians chapter four, the Apostle Paul calls upon us to respond to each situation with joy, prayer, and thanksgiving rather than with anxiety. It seems like an impossibility to respond to life�s circumstances in such a way. However, if we know the One who created the Universe, and we believe that He is actively at work in our hearts and lives, what do we need to be anxious about?

      As God�s redeemed people we certainly have much to rejoice about�even in the midst of trials and problems. When feelings of anxiety begin to overwhelm us, we are called upon to focus our attention on God by singing songs of praise, by reading the Scriptures, or by finding a quiet place to be alone with God and rejoice in His presence. He has absolute control over His creation and He will carry the weight of our dilemmas if we allow Him to.

      Over and over throughout the Scriptures we are told to be thankful. When we are feeling anxious, we can fight back by offering our thanks to God over the fact that we can do nothing, but He has the power to do anything. Remember that nothing is impossible for God. Thank Him for the many things He has already done, and then begin to praise Him for what He has yet to do. Nothing that has happened in your life has come as a surprise to God. He knew it was coming and He has already made provisions for it. Therefore, give Him your thanks because even though you may not see it, God has already taken care of your situation.

      It is never God�s will for us to be worried or anxious about anything. In fact, Jesus told us, �Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?� (Matthew 6:25-27, NKJV)

      No amount of worrying can change anything in our lives for the better. It can only harm us by raising our blood pressure or by causing other physical ailments, but it can never produce anything good for us. However, we know the One who holds the world in His hands. Does it not make much more sense for us to simply take our problems to Him and then allow Him to handle it as He sees fit? Let us go before Him now and lay all of our burdens and troubles at His feet. He loves us so much and He�s been waiting for us to stop worrying and simply come to Him.

      Heavenly Father,

      I thank You because You have everything under Your control. The truth is that, up until this moment, I have been worried about this particular problem in my life. It�s a natural response for me to be worried, but it is not the correct response. Lord, I don�t know what to do about this problem, but I know that You do. You have proven Yourself faithful over and over again. I don�t know why it is so hard for me to trust You sometimes. However, I do know that every time I�ve given You a problem You have always taken care of it. This time is not an exception. Lord, I thank You because I know that this did not happen as a surprise to You. You see everything�past, present, and future. Therefore it is impossible for anything to surprise or shock You. Thank You so much because I know that You have already resolved this problem. You are so awesome and I�m so very blessed to be a part of Your wonderful Kingdom.

      Lord, I�m so grateful that I know You; however, there are so many out there who do not know You or the eternal life You want to bring to them. I pray that You will grant me the opportunity to speak to someone about You today. What a privilege to be able to share You with someone who doesn�t know You!

      Father, for everything that You have done, and for everything that You will do in the times that are ahead, I give You praise and thanks.

      In Christ�s Name I pray,

      Amen.

      My friend, no matter what you are facing today, rest assured that your heavenly Father has everything under control. He�s not wringing His hands in concern or worried about what to do next. No, He has it all under control and He�s working it out for your benefit. He would never have allowed it to happen in your life to begin with if it wasn�t going to result in something good for you. So just relax. Your Father is in control and He loves you more than you can possibly imagine.

      Your brother in the struggle,

      Kevin D.