self denial is the same as denying god

  • cortrent
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2002
      i found this website by accident when i was looking up gay christain
      resources on the net. i am 17 just beginning to come out of the
      closet to people that close to me. they have all accepted me and i
      found that comforting but i still could not shake all antigay
      christian sentiments that were taught to me, but in my heart of
      hearts i feel a truth that is more powerful than those things i had
      read about gays goin to hell. i knew that god loved me exactly how he
      had made me, and that he made no mistakes including my sexual
      identity. but i still found anti gay religious sentiments where ever
      i looked. the feeling i felt inside me was most important to me still
      though. i knew that god created me a certain way with certain plans
      for me and i knew that to reject those things and attempt to brain
      wash myself into somthing new was arrogant and sinful in its nature.
      it is not our place to judge what god made us as not good enough for
      us or for the people around us. god knows better and will not lead us
      down the wrong path, it is important that we remember that in our
      lives. so i felt like i could feel what was right in my soul but
      still not in my head. despite my feelings i could not reconcile the
      fact that most christian clergy believed homosexuality to be a sin. i
      needed to move on in my life i needed a permanent spirtual and
      intelectual basis for my beliefs. so i prayed to god hoping that i
      could find definte answers about homosexuality. at first i did not
      feel like god had given me new information but right afterwards i had
      an idea. why not search the net for religious info on gays. for like
      the next three day ill i could do was read and think about material i
      found i was not happy unless i was readin. i found lots of info about
      the bible and homosexuality and i was finally able to but my mind at
      ease. looking back i am sure somthing pushed me to look up this
      information and drew me to the corect answers and so it is my belief
      that is how god answered my prayer

      i hope this message helps you accept yourself
    • philtft
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2002
        I am puzzled by the title of your post.

        Jesus said:

        If any man would follow me, he must DENY HIMSELF, take up his cross
        and follow me.

        It would seem to me therefore that self denial is exactly the
        opposite of denying. Self denial is an essential aspect of finding
        God and coming to know Him better.

        It has certainly been my own experience that in denying my own
        selfish and sinful desires, I have discovered much deeper
        satisfaction from life and developed my relationship with God. By
        denying, I don't mean I pretend I don't have sinful desires - I do,
        but when I deny those desires any expression and look to Jesus, they
        fade and die.

        Phil
      • cortrent
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2002
          --- In exgaydiscussionboard@y..., philtft <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I am puzzled by the title of your post.
          >
          > Jesus said:
          >
          > If any man would follow me, he must DENY HIMSELF, take up his cross
          > and follow me.
          >
          > It would seem to me therefore that self denial is exactly the
          > opposite of denying. Self denial is an essential aspect of finding
          > God and coming to know Him better.
          >
          > It has certainly been my own experience that in denying my own
          > selfish and sinful desires, I have discovered much deeper
          > satisfaction from life and developed my relationship with God. By
          > denying, I don't mean I pretend I don't have sinful desires - I do,
          > but when I deny those desires any expression and look to Jesus,
          they
          > fade and die.
          >

          > Phil
          phil im sorry i poorly named this. i did not mean it like that. we
          certainly do have sinful desires and we ARE menat to deny them. i
          think you focused to much on the title, and i admit the title was
          misleading. more what i meant to say is god gave us all different
          gifts and they are all more than we deserve. he also favored none of
          us ofer the others. we all have unique and special attributes. and
          they are all gifts from god. and when you tell yourself i am not good
          enough or i am not what i should be. you imply that god failed you
          when in fact he gave us all more than we deserve. you should think
          that god made me wonderful and better than i deserve to be, and im am
          GRATEFUL that it is so, and i wouldnt have it any other way