Re: Ex Gay Discussion Board Re: My Story

  • David MacDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2002
      Hi Steve

      I can certainly mirror 'guilt' being there as a very very powerful blight on
      my life.

      When do I get it? When I look, linger, browse or dwell on my own strong
      urges to have physical intimacy with men and when I give in. It can be
      something as simple as looking through the dating page to see gay ads in the
      normal daily newspaper.

      For us married men with kids I believe God has placed us in a position of
      greatest responsibilty and care. When we are fulfilling it we feel great,
      enriched and free - when we're not we feel lousy.

      We have a particular problem of some sort of emotional lack that is not
      fulfilled in our family context. That problem may itself be grist for the
      mill and help us in our goal of self control. Faith, Patience and Love
      play a big part and God and our partner looks for that.

      I have often gone to my wife with a guilty face and a very evasive mood, but
      I know from experience that the subsequent and often angry confrontation is
      healthy. When I see the attention and focus in my wife's eyes - I understand
      there is a commitment from her and a passion to have things right. After all
      the eyes are the door to the soul. There is a great temptation for me to
      turn my back and hide.

      I believe we have a similar issue in our partnership with our Heavenly
      Father whose heart is for us and whose eyes are on us. Our guilt tries to
      make us evade him, but we must look into his eyes and see his anger ( if we
      have in fact wronged him) but in these same eyes that we look into we see
      the depth of his love, care and compassion for us. Things then become a bit
      clearer and that lousy guilt can be transformed into a childlike innocence.

      I feel as family men we need to submit to God and also our partners.
      Submission is a servant attitude that wants to please. Actions are
      different we can stray and do very wrong - but I believe if we come back
      with a will to serve even if it doesn't look that it will fulfill our needs,
      we will have a peace and contentment -- and we will be free of that guilt.

      Kind Rgds
      David