Saint

  • pfox_exgays
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
      St. Charles Lwanga and Companions
      Saint for Homosexuals
      The 22 Martyrs of Uganda
      Died 1886-1887

      The nineteenth century martyrs of Uganda were the first black
      Catholic martyrs of Africa. St. Charles Lwanga was one of 22 Ugandan
      martyrs who converted from paganism. Christianity, first under the
      Anglicans, and then under Catholicism, had flourished in Uganda under
      one of the tribal kings.

      However, a successor king persecuted the Christian converts and
      missionaries who openly condemned his homosexual behavior. King
      Mwanga forced himself on the young boys and men who served him as
      pages (attendants). The Christians at the royal court tried to
      protect the pages from King Mwanga, the Babandan ruler.
      Charles Lwanga was a servant of the king and baptized in November
      1885. Lwanga was also known as "the most handsome man of the Kingdom
      of Uganda." He instructed his friends in the Catholic Faith and
      baptized boy pages. He encouraged converts to remain chaste and
      faithful. He protected his companions from the homosexual demands of
      King Mwanga.

      King Mwanga at first favored Charles and the other pages (young men
      aged thirteen to thirty), but when they rejected his homosexual
      advances, the king grew angry and ordered a persecution of "all those
      who pray" -- meaning all Catholics. Joseph Mukaso, head of the royal
      pages and a Catholic convert who had encouraged the pages to resist,
      was put to death at the king's command.

      Lwanga succeeded Joseph Mukasa as head of the royal pages and
      continued his predecessor's censure of the king's homosexual
      practices. This intensified King Mwanga's hatred of Catholics.
      Following Mukasa's example, Lwanga also attempted to protect the
      others from the king's homosexual demands. The king responded by
      murdering converts who refused him sexual favors -- who would not sin
      and compromise their new faith. Lwanga was to be executed by being
      burnt to death.

      When Lwanga was sentenced to death, he seemed peaceful. While the
      pyre was being prepared, he asked to be untied so that he could
      arrange the sticks. He then lay down on them. When the executioner
      said that Lwanga would be burned slowly, Lwanga replied that he was
      glad to be die for the True Faith. He made no cry of pain but just
      twisted and moaned, "Kotanda! (O my God!)." He was burned to death
      by Mwanga's order on June 3, 1886.

      The remaining Ugandan martyrs were killed early in 1887. St. Charles
      Lwanga and his twenty-one companions were canonized by Pope Paul VI
      on June 22,1964. Catholics celebrate St. Charles Lwanga's feast day
      on June 3rd of the Roman Calendar. Christians kneel before these
      African sons and ask them for a share of their purity, terror and
      absolute devotions. St. Charles Lwanga, though young and still only
      a catechumen, was able to recognize immorality and refuse to
      participate. Though homosexuality is considered "politically
      correct" in our society, homosexual acts are sinful -- and committed
      Christians accept this truth and, with God's help, avoid such
      activity. These days, can we do as they did?
      ###
    • Tim Way

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2003
          Um, while I don't have alot of warmth for the Catholic Church these
          days, I personally know many Catholics who are born again, Spirit
          filled believers. You can't lump them all together, just like I
          also personally know many believers within the Episcopal Church,
          even though the Episcopal Church is going to hades in a handbasket.
          So, you can't lump them all together.
        • Basil
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
            This is interesting Pfox
            do you know of any other saints specificly relevent to us?
            I am familiar with many who have struggled with strong sexual
            temptation. i always enjoy stories like that although I'm not
            Catholic.
            Thanks,
            Basil

            --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "pfox_exgays"

          • Bubba
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
              Basil, you will be most interested in knowing that there is an
              Orthodox saint who supposedly had struggled with homosexuality. In
              fact, I have his icon before me. He is Saint Basil of Mangazeya,
              the Virgin Martyr. I had gotten the icon from Dormition Skete Icons
              in Beuna Vista CO
            • Tim Way
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
                Hi Dave,

                I dont have to lump them together because Jesus Christ already has.
                In John 10, Jesus said that his sheep knew his voice and followed
                him. But a stranger they would not follow because they knew not the
                voice of strangers.See brother, that is one of the ear marks of a
                phony believer and how to tell the true believers apart. The reason
                you couldnt follow after the Greek Orthodox's idolitry is because of
                this same truth found in John 10. The truth about Christs sheep is
                the truth about Christs sheep regardles of the century they live in
                or the country they were born in. If a person gets saved coming from
                the idolitrous catholic arena, there's something different about
                that person in regards to being able to follow that which is right
                and abstaining from that which is erronious.

                - In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Bubba" <bubbadave3@h...>
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
                  well done bubba,
                  St Basil is my patron in my exgay journey. (my real name is not
                  Basil )We don't know if he himself struggled with SSA, but the story
                  says he lived around the 17th century an a mining colony, the
                  conditions were very harsh and only men lived there for years at a
                  time. he was sudused by his employer, and died at his hands when he
                  did not submit to his wishes. there's more to the story but im a
                  little hazy on the details, if you want more info i can find it for
                  you.
                  take care,
                  Basil

                  <bubbadave3@h...> wrote:
                  > Basil, you will be most interested in knowing that there is an
                  > Orthodox saint who supposedly had struggled with homosexuality.
                  In
                  > fact, I have his icon before me. He is Saint Basil of Mangazeya,
                  > the Virgin Martyr. I had gotten the icon from Dormition Skete
                  Icons
                  > in Beuna Vista CO
                • Bubba
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2003
                    Thanks for that info, bro. Hope things are well with ya.