Re: [ExGDBd] New here

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hi Mark,

      Just got a chance to catch up on all the mail and thought I would make a few comments on your mail. When my son was in high school, he wanted to fit in so bad with his peers. So, he got all of his courage together and asked some girls out and then they rejected him. This did not help with affirming his masculinity. He prayed that God would send him a girlfriend and actually a girl did come into his life then. He enjoyed her friendship but was not physically attracted to her. During the short time he went to our church counselor about his SSA, he asked the counselor if he should take this girl to the prom even though he did not have feelings for her. He recommended he should because even though he may not have feelings for her, it will still be a good thing to have girls affirm his masculinity, which this girl was doing. For sometime after my son was hurt by girls whom he thought he might like, he had a lot of anger towards girls. He kept saying he hated girls. I told him that does not sound like a typical gay because most gays I had met loved girls as friends and hung out with them, although they were not sexually attracted to them. Our son seemed to be running away from his heterosexuality because he did not feel safe or comfortable being a heterosexual.

      The first guy he was ever attracted to at 16 was when his subconscious drive kicked in to find his masculinity. He adored and almost worshipped this guy but when he realized he had sexual feelings for him, it terrified him. The idea of being gay repulsed him. He did not want to be a fag, as he called himself. This was a horrible time for him and he was so scared and depressed. He had such a self-hatred and thought he was going to hell for having these feelings. This is one of the reasons I am working so hard to get ex-gay education into the schools and churches. Right now the schools and their counselors just encourage these kids to accept who they are and embrace it. Some churches have accepted homosexuality and others condemn those with these feelings to hell. So, that is why I am meeting with my church leaders to educate them. I had a wonderful meeting with our minister last night and his wife. We discussed the groups my husband and I are starting in our area. They were very positive and willing to learn.

      I saw a thing on tv recently where a guy said the following: "I know before I went into prison that I was a super straight heterosexual, but after being in prison and now being released, I feel homosexual, believe I am a homosexual." This really made me realize that messing with ones body and mind, can change peoples beliefs. So, it seems to me that the more a SSA person fits in with healthy heterosexuals and the opposite sex affirms their gender, the more healing can happen. I know many people have tried to overcome their SSA with the help of God and reparative therapy and have not been able to overcome it, but they still control their behavior because they do not want to sin. So much we have to trust will be in God's time and God's way.

      Bridget
      www.1stbooks.com/bookview/12053

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 8, 2003
          Bridget:

          You know everything about your son, just as if you are thinking his
          thoughts for him. Excuse me for saying this, but your mother-son
          relationship is extremely close than it should be. He needs to stand on
          his own feet and become independent. From reading your posts, it's like
          you're trying to bear his burdens for him. It's way past time for him
          to grow up and let go of your apron strings. I hope you understand what
          I'm saying.

          -Roger
          --------------------------------------
          Please feel free to contact me with any of the following messinger
          programs for interactive chat:
          Yahoo!: RC_Stuart
          AOL/AIM: RCStuart
          MSN: <mailto:stuartroger@...> stuartroger@...
          --------------------------------------

[...]

          Web: <http://geocities.com/exgaylinks> | Discussion List:
          <http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/exgaydiscussionboard> | Chat:
          <http://chat.yahoo.com/?club=exgaydiscussionboard>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          074683:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
          o=60164784&partid=3170658>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=851812219>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8, 2003
            Roger,

            As painful as it is to admit, I must consider what you have said. Sometimes outsiders can see more objectively. I believe I was too involved with my son because of my own fears and when writing the book. I do not talk to my son much anymore and I realize it is good that he lives far a way. I encourage my husband to reach out to my son more and for his big brother to reach out too. I know that it is important for mothers to get out of the way when dealing with this issue. I thank you for reminding me of that.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 10, 2003
                Bridget, what is the book you have written?

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                  Hello all!
                  I just finished a sort of condensed version of the first chapter of my book and I'd really like some of your opinions. So when you have time, please go to my website and check it out. I was gonna post it, but it was too big and looked funky on this page because it was all squished over on one side of it-which made it about nine miles long. So go to my site and scroll down until you see the link on the home page. I'd really appreciate some input on it. Thanks much!

                  Be blessed,
                  Rick
                  Spirit Walkers Ministries
                  http://www.Spirit-Walkers.org

                • theslink2003
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                    Hi Rick:
                    I thought it was great. Fast paced, yet not short on detail. Love the
                    little demon part. Your a talented writer. Is this your first book?
                    TheSlink

                    --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Rick <Freedom@S...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hello all!
                    > I just finished a sort of condensed version of the first chapter of
                    my book and I'd really like some of your opinions. So when you have
                    time, please go to my website and check it out. I was gonna post it,
                    but it was too big and looked funky on this page because it was all
                    squished over on one side of it-which made it about nine miles long.
                    So go to my site and scroll down until you see the link on the home
                    page. I'd really appreciate some input on it. Thanks much!

                    > Be blessed,
                    > Rick
                    > Spirit Walkers Ministries
                    > http://www.Spirit-Walkers.org

                  • Rick
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 9, 2003
                      Thanks for the complements! Yes it is my first book. But the reason
                      it seems sort of fast paced is because there's a lot of detail I left
                      out that's going to go into the original. This was just a web site
                      condensed version! Thanks for reading it!

                      Rick
                      Spirit Walkers Ministries

                      --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "theslink2003"
                      <theslink@J...> wrote:
                      > Hi Rick:
                      > I thought it was great. Fast paced, yet not short on detail. Love
                      the
                      > little demon part. Your a talented writer. Is this your first book?
                      > TheSlink
                      >

                      > --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Rick <Freedom@S...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hello all!
                      > > I just finished a sort of condensed version of the first chapter
                      of
                      > my book and I'd really like some of your opinions. So when you have
                      > time, please go to my website and check it out. I was gonna post
                      it,
                      > but it was too big and looked funky on this page because it was all
                      > squished over on one side of it-which made it about nine miles
                      long.
                      > So go to my site and scroll down until you see the link on the home
                      > page. I'd really appreciate some input on it. Thanks much!
                      > >
                      > > Be blessed,
                      > > Rick
                      > > Spirit Walkers Ministries
                      > > http://www.Spirit-Walkers.org

                    • Jill
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 9, 2003
                        Hey Rick,
                        I just read the condensed version of your book....that was great!!
                        very cruel though, the way you leave us hanging like that!!
                        What happened next!??? I guess I'll have to get the book. :)

                        blessings,
                        Jill

                        wrote:
                        > Hello all!
                        > I just finished a sort of condensed version of the first chapter
                        of my book and I'd really like some of your opinions. So when you
                        have time, please go to my website and check it out. I was gonna
                        post it, but it was too big and looked funky on this page because it
                        was all squished over on one side of it-which made it about nine
                        miles long. So go to my site and scroll down until you see the link
                        on the home page. I'd really appreciate some input on it. Thanks
                        much!

                        > Be blessed,
                        > Rick
                        > Spirit Walkers Ministries
                        > http://www.Spirit-Walkers.org

                      • Rick
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 9, 2003
                          Thanks for the nice and encouraging words Jill! Yep, yer gonna have
                          to wait! ;-)

                          Be blessed!
                          Rick
                          Spirit Walkers Ministries

                          --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, "Jill" <jdo52@h...>
                          wrote:
                          > Hey Rick,
                          > I just read the condensed version of your book....that was great!!
                          > very cruel though, the way you leave us hanging like that!!
                          > What happened next!??? I guess I'll have to get the book. :)
                          >
                          > blessings,
                          > Jill
                          >
                          > --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Rick <Freedom@S...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Hello all!
                          > > I just finished a sort of condensed version of the first chapter
                          > of my book and I'd really like some of your opinions. So when you
                          > have time, please go to my website and check it out. I was gonna
                          > post it, but it was too big and looked funky on this page because
                          it
                          > was all squished over on one side of it-which made it about nine
                          > miles long. So go to my site and scroll down until you see the link
                          > on the home page. I'd really appreciate some input on it. Thanks
                          > much!
                          > >
                          > > Be blessed,
                          > > Rick
                          > > Spirit Walkers Ministries
                          > > http://www.Spirit-Walkers.org

                        • Alan Levering
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 26, 2004
                            --- castledweller7@...
                            <castledweller7@...> wrote:
                            > Hi there,
                            > I am new here and new to changing my SSA ways.
                            Right now it is
                            > pretty lonely due to the fact that I don't feel
                            comfortable telling
                            > even my bible study group about my struggle and my
                            closest friend is
                            > the one that brought all of my SSA feelings to the
                            surface after I
                            > had been in denial for at least 15 years. So, I am
                            trying to not see
                            > as much of her (which offends her) because when I
                            do, I say the exact
                            > things I am trying to get away from.
                            >
                            > Fortunately I have never had a physical relationship
                            either hetero or
                            > homo, but this is the closest that I have ever come
                            and I am scared
                            > of how far I could let myself go since I am getting
                            bolder in my
                            > discussions with her. She will be moving soon, which
                            is a mixed
                            > blessing, but in the meantime, I am losing my
                            resolve to remain
                            > abstinent.
                            >
                            > The more I ask people to pray, the more books I read
                            on the subject
                            > and the more websites I find to encourage me, the
                            more I want to run
                            > squarely into the relationship I am trying to avoid.
                            I am doing
                            > exactly what I believe is wrong.
                            >
                            > I am a christian, and I was raised in Bible
                            believing churches, but
                            > at this time, I am tempted far more than I ever have
                            been before. I
                            > don't have anyone who understands what I am going
                            through that I can
                            > talk to on a regular basis.
                            >
                            > I am trying to get into an Exodus chapter, but they
                            have to set up a
                            > women's division just for me, and these things do
                            take time. I think
                            > within the next week or so, it will be going, but I
                            am sort of going
                            > a little crazy wanting to discuss things and ask
                            questions and not
                            > being able to.
                            >
                            > Hey, thanks for listening!
                            > ~BJ

                            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                          • Alan Levering
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 26, 2004
                              Perhaps you could set up some one-on-one coupeling
                              sessions with the ministry leader. Also you should
                              pray that God would show you an appropriate person to
                              share your struggles with from your church. Maybe a
                              womens ministry leader or the pastors wife.
                              --- castledweller7@...

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • castledweller7
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 26, 2004
                                Alan,
                                I had one meeting with the director about a month ago and today I
                                set up another one for this friday. For me, that is not enough
                                because I am the kind of person who likes to discuss things and I
                                have lots of questions, pretty much on a daily basis.

                                I haven't prayed for a person to tell, because that is the last
                                thing I want to do. I got pretty brave and sent in a semi-anonymous
                                prayer request about my struggles, but they have not posted it yet,
                                and I don't know if they will. I said nothing inappropriate just that
                                I struggle with same sex attraction.

                                --- In exgaydiscussionboard@yahoogroups.com, Alan Levering
                                <ncxds2@y...> wrote:
                                > Perhaps you could set up some one-on-one coupeling
                                > sessions with the ministry leader. Also you should
                                > pray that God would show you an appropriate person to
                                > share your struggles with from your church. Maybe a
                                > womens ministry leader or the pastors wife.

                              • Michael
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 4, 2005
                                  Hi Kate,
                                  Welcome to the board. It seems many of us have weaknesses, and here is a verse that speaks on that topic:
                                  2Co 12:9 -
                                  But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may reside in me.

                                  God uses our weaknesses to draw us closer to him. If your husband is a christian and is willing, he can access the "new wine" course on www.settingcaptivesfree.com which is a free online class, scripture based to assist in gaining freedom from drinking and substance abuse.
                                  you may also find the 'door of hope' class useful for yourself.

                                  God bless,

                                  Michael