Re: [ExGDBd] bad week: Dave

  • thirtydaes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2003
      Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement and understanding.
      Today was a better day, spiritually, but physically, I'm fighting a summer cold.
      It is just good to know that there are others in the struggle facing some of
      the same ups and downs that I do. I had to hear all about the "fun" at the
      gay pride parade, but I had prepared myself. I've never been afraid to take an
      oppositional stance anyway...

      Still walking in faith, thanks for your encouragement...

      Dave

    • Tim Way
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2003
        Hi Christa, wow ! I neded to read that and be refreshed with that knowledge myself. Thanks Tim Way

        Christa Tickle <ctickle777@...> wrote:Hi Dave. I just had to respond to your email and just assure you that you have not separated yourself from God through your actions. Hey, we all fall short from time to time. Just keep renewing your mind to truth and don't allow Satan to bombard you with guilt. You were forgiven for your brief affair even before you did it! : ) When you stumble, just confess it and accept the forgiveness He has already offered. Remember, the goal of being a Christian is not to change your behavior, it is to know Christ and have a personal relationship with Him. He will change your mind and you will lose the desire to live in the flesh. Don't allow Satan to burdon you with guilt you weren't meant to carry. He kept me in chains for ten years before I came to know, understand, and believe this truth! God will live His life in and through you...none of us can change ourselves or live the Christian life as only Christ was able to do it...so you just renew your
        mind to truth and start focusing on your new
        identity. You were a sinner...you are now a saint who continues to sin! BIG difference! God doesn't see you as a sinner anymore...He sees you as a saint. You will never be more righteous in God's eyes than you are at this very moment, even after you fell into temptation, because you have a new identity. Christ has given you a new life, a new lineage, a new inheritance, a new destiny! It's yours now, not when you are able to resist your SSA, but now, at this very moment. His life was exchanged for yours two months ago when you accepted Him.

        One thing that helps me when I'm struggling with SEVERE temptation, is to always ask myself why I want to drink, or whatever it is I really want to do. I then pull out my bookmark with my "identity" verses on it. And I read them over and over again. I'm going to share some of these with you because when I find I am being tempted to the limit, knowing and believing my identity over the lie and desires of my flesh helps me resist the temptation.

        You are God's Child; You are Christ's Friend, You have been justified, You [are] bought with a price; You belong to God, You are a saint. You cannot be separated from the love of God, You are born of God, the evil one cannot touch you, You are God's temple, You are a citizen of heaven.

        Satan's Lies:You are a sinner because you sin. Your identity comes from what you have done. Your identity comes from what people say or think about you. Your behavior tells you what to believe about yourself.

        God's Truth: You are a saint (declared righteous by God) who sins. Your identity comes from what God has done for you. Your identity comes from what God says about you.

        God bless you Dave! : ) I hope this encourages you...it certainly helps me day to day.

        With love in Christ,
        Christa

        thirtydaes <thirtydaes@...> wrote:
        Hi, guys. I haven't posted in awhile. Last week was not a good one
        for me. I had gone on a retreat over the weekend with my job and
        ended up rooming with a guy I'd had a brief affair with...and I
        succombed to temptation. That began a downward spiral that thrust me
        right back into the throes of sexual compulsive behaviors. I was
        filled with such despair, I even started drinking again. For the
        first time since beginning my journey out of homosexuality and into
        acceptance of Jesus Christ 2 months ago, I began to seriously doubt
        whether or not I could do it. To make matters worse, New York was in
        full celebration mode this week of gay pride, and I was under
        pressure from my job to help prepare for and participate in our float
        at the gay pride march. I've already decided to resign and my last
        day will be this Thursday, but there was a lot of temptation to
        celebrate with all the out and proud gays at my job and in New York
        this weekend. Ultimately, I decided not to go. Also, I am heavily
        missing my children, who moved with my wife to Texas 2 weeks ago. I
        feel all alone, and am deep in self-pity right now. Brothers from my
        church are reaching out to me, but I'm not answering the phone or
        making and breaking plans to get together. I made myself go to
        church this morning, and all during service, I was in physical,
        emotional, and spiritual battle with my desires and The Word. Then
        during the pastor's sermon, I finally received a breakthrough and
        realized and I had taken back everything I said I would give to Jesus
        when I made him Lord of my life. As a man who is very used to
        controlling his life and those around him, it took a lot for me to
        make Jesus Lord, and I still hadn't made him lord in all areas, but
        he was Lord in those that haunted me and caused me to sin--like
        drinking and using marijuana, and having compulsive sex. I had
        surrendered those to him, and he was handling them, ensuring that my
        needs that found fulfillment in those areas were getting met in
        other, healthier areas. But I took that all back this week, even
        knowing that when I had control of those areas, I made mistakes,
        severe mistakes and was short-sighted, seeking immediate
        gratification, which ultimately left me unfulfilled. Even worse this
        time, I felt the pain of seperation from God.

        So many messages I have heard about how to accept Christ in your life
        and resist temptation once you are born again deal with strength and
        will, and making the right choices. I find difficulty with that.
        The concept of surrender works better for me. If i let go, and trust
        God to handle the things I've made a mess of, it becomes less an
        issue of collecting the strength necessary to make the right choice,
        but instead to stop fighting, letting God take over, and then
        listening to and obeying his will. When I asked myself how he was
        handling what I had truly surrendered to him, it was clear that he
        was handling it wonderfully, so much so, that I was not even troubled
        by it anymore. What made me think I had a better way than that?

        This week I have surrendered again. Not to my will, and the empty
        promises of flesh fulfillment, but to God's will. He has a better
        way, every time for me. I pray that I will remember this.

        Dave

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor